Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
swish

Can't start VM after upgrade from 2.1.4

Post by swish »

When Start a VM,a error dialog display and only has an abort button :
Caption:VirtualBox - Runtime Error
Message:Can't access kernel driver!\r\nMake sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
After Click Abort button,VM will Auto terminated with a message with error code 0x80004005(E_FAIL) and no any log exists
swish

Continue

Post by swish »

When I repair the install,VM can be start now,But when I start the third vm,the application say the memory is low,but my computer only used 1.4G of 2G Phy Memory,Why?
MrEasy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

Re: Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

Post by MrEasy »

maxmorio wrote:Have exactly the same issue like Corokant and MrEasy !
Using WinXPsp3 as host, VB 2.2.0 can't be installed (ending 'prematurely' at install procedure)
VB 2.2.0 beta2 can neither be uninstalled nor repaired via winxp system settings. The beta2 setup still seems to work...
MrEasy wrote: Also unable to install - had 2.2.0 beta2 running without problems before.

---- obsolete
Now even worse: Uninstalling 2.2.0 beta2 also ran into this problem; after removing it manually I'm stuck without anything working - anybody having still the beta2-installer?

Any possibility to make the installer more verbose to give me a clue what the problem might be?
----

Deselected host-only-networking during install and it worked without problem. Also adding the host-only network adapter later is working.
@MrEasy: How did yout deselect "HostOnlyNetworking" during install? Do you mean deselecting "VirtualBox Networking" at "Custom Setup" when going through the setup wizard?
Unfortunately, this did not work for me.

Same error occured when extracting with

Code: Select all

VirtualBox-2.2.0-45846-Win.exe -extract
msiecex /i VirtualB....x86.msi
at CMD-line.

Any ideas someone?

Hi I have to revert that. I thought the problem was solved by deselecting the VB Networking, but just tried to install it on another machine with the same problems, and it only worked after cleaning the registry.
regedit -> search for "VirtualBox" and remove any suspicous entry.
Don't know which one finally solves the problem, but anyone of them does.

This is a bug, but maybe only applies for users having the 2.2.0 beta 2 running before?!
maxmorio
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Linux (Debian 5.0; Fedora10), Win7

Post by maxmorio »

@MrEasy, Coimbra:
Thanks for your information.
If i do the workaround with deleting the installation manually and cleaning the windows registry, I guess I have to reassign all settings for the guest system again, right?

I opened a BugTicket for that installer issue.
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3659
Maybe you could confirm the installation issue there?

EDIT:
That workaround seem to be doing the thing for me:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 2.0#p68449
Removing VirtualBox program folder and renaming the VB-folders in documents and settings
Installing the VB2.1.4. After that updating to 2.2.0 worked fine! Copied the old XML-files to the actual .VirtualBox folder to restore my old settings.

Had not to touch the registry manually.

It seems to be a problem with the 2.2.0beta2 installation, not the VB2.2.0 release.
Last edited by maxmorio on 10. Apr 2009, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have installed VirtualBox 2.2.0 and I have several problems:

1. after installation of this version on Windows XP SP3 host I get error of time-out using IBM Warehouse product on host. I reported bug:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3671

2. host-only network has limited or no connectivity - after installing VBox 2.2.0 on host I get this error. I reported bug:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3670

3. compiz not woring on Intel Mobile graphic devices - the same problem as on Vbox 2.2.0 beta 2. It looks this bug is not solved. I reported bug:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3668

It looks like this is very bug version for me :( The most nasty is first one, which prevents me to have product installed on my computer in the first place.

Does someone experience the same problems?
Regards
Tokyowasabi

Post by Tokyowasabi »

I installed 2.2.0 over the old 2.1.4 version and it causes a few problems. First is the network adapter issue where nothing shows up. However I was able to resolve this by uninstalling 2.2.0 and reinstall it and select Repair during the setup process.

The second issue is a major issue. It is the HostMemoryLow error where it causes the VM to go into a Pause state until memory is free. For example, I got 6GB of total ram and currently I have 3 VMs running and my current total memory usage is 3.5GB. I have another VM that uses 2GB of ram, but it will not run and give the HostMemoryLow error.
cs96and
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: centos4

Post by cs96and »

Sasquatch wrote:Since this version, they hid the additional configuration of Bridged and Host-Only networking behind a button, right next to the dropdown box. I complained about this during the first beta, that it would cause quite some problems and questions on the forums, but they ignored me. This just happens when they don't really listen to feedback.
Yes, but even if I click that button there are no interfaces in the list to choose from.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

A couple of people have noted that they've had installation problems with 2.2 on Linux. I've learnt that the safest thing to do is to remove the previous version then install the current when changing the X.Y level so I did
  • sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-2.1
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-2.2
on my Ubuntu 64bit system and this worked fine for me.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

TerryE wrote:A couple of people have noted that they've had installation problems with 2.2 on Linux. I've learnt that the safest thing to do is to remove the previous version then install the current when changing the X.Y level so I did
  • sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-2.1
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-2.2
on my Ubuntu 64bit system and this worked fine for me.
The packages should have the conflict set, so your package manager should automatically mark it to be removed. This is already in the FAQ Terry ;).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

cs96and wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Since this version, they hid the additional configuration of Bridged and Host-Only networking behind a button, right next to the dropdown box. I complained about this during the first beta, that it would cause quite some problems and questions on the forums, but they ignored me. This just happens when they don't really listen to feedback.
Yes, but even if I click that button there are no interfaces in the list to choose from.
In the Windows Hosts forum, this is discussed and they had to repair the setup to get them to show. Try it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
AndyMutz
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by AndyMutz »

a repair installation worked for me, bridged networking is fine again.

-andy-
alvarf
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by alvarf »

alvarf wrote:I´m running version 2.1.4 and want to upgrade to 2.2.0, but when I run the packager installer to install 2.2.0 is delivers the following error message: Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'virtualbox-2-1' resulting in not able to install the 2.2.0. package.
Finally I got it installed. I removed the Virtualbox package using the Synaptic Package Manager and installed the new version on my Ubuntu 8.10 system. After booting the xVM guest (Windows XP) I installed the Virtualbox guest additions and everything is up and running, except I still have to manually active the USB device within my guest system to have my mouse being activated. Within the Vista guest host this is not needed and the mouse is automatically activated on the host as in the guest host.
Roman1

Post by Roman1 »

AndyMutz wrote:a repair installation worked for me, bridged networking is fine again.

-andy-
when I updated on Windows Vista 64bit as normal user, the install (after the UAP prompt) ended with "this program may not have installed correctly", and indeed the "VirtualBox Bridged Network Driver" was not installed (look at the properties of your network controller). I then right-clicked on the VB installer file and chose 'run as administrator', which allowed me to repair the installation and get networking back.

Roman
w00dy
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 8.10

Post by w00dy »

hi,

i also post that question in another thread...

my new installation of vb 2.2 and ubuntu 8.10 works fine until i activate the opengl-mode.

the 3d-effect works fine, but my mouse pointer is invisbible??????

any idea how i can fix this?

thx
Roman1

Post by Roman1 »

Tokyowasabi wrote:The second issue is a major issue. It is the HostMemoryLow error where it causes the VM to go into a Pause state until memory is free. For example, I got 6GB of total ram and currently I have 3 VMs running and my current total memory usage is 3.5GB. I have another VM that uses 2GB of ram, but it will not run and give the HostMemoryLow error.
same here, Windows Vista 64bit host, with plenty of RAM left. Unusable.

Roman