Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
dinkop
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win

Re: Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

Post by dinkop »

Not a big issue but... Help / Virtual Box Web Site... doesn't work anymore. ;)
At least on my Windows XP host. It was working with 2.1.4 and before...
aior
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 10/11 & Ubuntu 20.04/22.04

Post by aior »

Hi,

I have my VB upgraded into 2.2.0 from 2.1.4. I have found that there is "host-only interface" in 2.2.0, not "host interface" as the 2.1.4. My host OS is Microsoft Windows XP(192.168.1.5), the guest one is Ubuntu 8.10(192.168.1.4) and another guest one is Microsoft Windows XP(192.168.1.3). When using 2.1.4, I choose 'host interface' for the two guests(192.68.1.4 and 192.168.1.3), then they can be accessed easily by my LAN machine(for example, 192.168.1.6, from some machines of the LAN). However, what should I do that in 2.2.0, so that 192.168.1.6(a real machine in the LAN, not VM) can access 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.3 as 2.1.4?
mfog
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by mfog »

Just started using VB 2.1.4 on my Apple MacBook (Mac Intel running OS X 10.5.6) a few days ago - and I'm very impressed! To day I did an upgrade from VB 2.1.4 to VB 2.2.0.

With version 2.1.4 there was an icon showing the status of floppy drive mounted (with access for the settings). Very handy in my current progress of installing guest OS. Also I had no problems accessing the CD (from both DOS and Windows XP) in the host/built-in CD/DVD drive on my Apple MacBook.

Now - with VB 2.2.0 - the icon for the floppy drive is missing ... annoying at best.

But a real problem is it that the CD/DVD drive no longer is accessible from the guest OS! Windows XP and DOS reports an error when trying to read from the CD. The CD is captured OK, but VB cann't read from it ... Wasn't a problem with VB 2.1.4.

I would be glad for any help on this. Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Might be a bug with VB 2.2.0 - if so, when should I look back for a fix/minor upgrade? Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If icons are missing or greyed out you should try to reinstall VBox and select the repair function.
If you still can not find them look under the device tab at the top left of the VBox window.
CD operation might improve if you select the passthrough function in the VBox setup. (guest must be shut down and not in a saves state to change functions).
markosjal

Post by markosjal »

I wanted to report my virtuaLbox 2.14 TO 2.20 upgrade (windows) issues.

I did not uninstall I just overinstalled assuming the installer would upgrade as it had on previous versions. The bridging driver did not install. The instalation did not work and uninstall did not work. I ran the installer again, and I was now able to start a virtual machine.

Running the 3 virtual machines I previously had configured resulted in a memory error. Now less than half of the system memory is available to virtual machines.

I assumed I could uninstall and reinstall the older version, but any attempt resulted in an error. There seems to be no returning to the previous version.

On a side note after installing virtualbox, i noted that I now also receive an error about a service not starting, but there is nothing in the event viewer that says WHAT service did not start. ALso I am seeing an "unknown" hardware device with a yellow exclamation. I suspect that this may have been a leftover form the initial bad install.

Suggestions:
do not upgrade to 2.2.0 it seems unstable and there is no way to go back, as something else gets upgraded in the install.
The virtualbox Host only networking should NOT be installed by default, but there is no option in the installer to choose networking modes. This is compounded by the thin documentation which says so little about setting up networking modes.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you are stuck between a rock and a hard place here is what I do to fix almost all of the problems you are having.
Re-install VBox in administrator mode and then select repair.
In XPpro you right click the install.exe and then run as.... select administrator.
In Vista just the right click and run as Administrator will do.
Let it complete and then reboot the machine.
My memory went back to what it used to be in VBox 2.14, almost half of what VB2.2 was using before the repair.
That being said there are still a few issues that I am sure they are working on and that is the shared clipboard and USB. From what I read they are hard at work fixing these.
belzecue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu

Post by belzecue »

Perryg's instructions are correct: running a 'repair' (as admin) seems to fix any lingering install issues (or if you're initially unable to perform an uninstall, which was my problem). However, 2.2.0 is unusable, IMO, particularly with Linux guests. I would advise staying with 2.1.4 until 2.2 is more mature.
KeyzerSuze
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: debian i386, debian amd64, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server

Post by KeyzerSuze »

Sasquatch wrote:
TerryE wrote:A couple of people have noted that they've had installation problems with 2.2 on Linux. I've learnt that the safest thing to do is to remove the previous version then install the current when changing the X.Y level so I did
  • sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-2.1
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-2.2
on my Ubuntu 64bit system and this worked fine for me.
The packages should have the conflict set, so your package manager should automatically mark it to be removed. This is already in the FAQ Terry ;).
Atleast on debian the other package gets removed not purged

EDIT:

I would have to agree with other people, 2.4 is not ready for normal use. I have had to down grade my support tools in XP back to 2.1 - for mouse.

my linux vm's have become rather flacky to keep locking up - not sure if this is the low memory error, as I run all my machines in headless mode. Hope for some fixes

VB FanBoy
Last edited by KeyzerSuze on 17. Apr 2009, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
markosjal

Post by markosjal »

My install, repair and later complete removal were all done logged in as Administrator and that did not prevent the issues detailed in my earlier post.

Since all I run are centOS 5.2 guests , I seem t agree with the statement that it is unusable for Linux guests.

If the installer or program is modifying files for virtual machines, it should also have the ability to undo those modifications.
patelbhavesh
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by patelbhavesh »

aior wrote:Hi,

I have my VB upgraded into 2.2.0 from 2.1.4. I have found that there is "host-only interface" in 2.2.0, not "host interface" as the 2.1.4. My host OS is Microsoft Windows XP(192.168.1.5), the guest one is Ubuntu 8.10(192.168.1.4) and another guest one is Microsoft Windows XP(192.168.1.3). When using 2.1.4, I choose 'host interface' for the two guests(192.68.1.4 and 192.168.1.3), then they can be accessed easily by my LAN machine(for example, 192.168.1.6, from some machines of the LAN). However, what should I do that in 2.2.0, so that 192.168.1.6(a real machine in the LAN, not VM) can access 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.3 as 2.1.4?
They have renamed it to bridge networking now and that is what you need.And there is a nasty bug if you are upgrading from 2.1.4, where in nothing will be shown in the bridge adapter.You can read more about it @ http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16443
Crusader
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 8.04 - KDE 3.5

Post by Crusader »

Crashes frequently.
Host OS: OS X 10.5.6. Guest OS: Kubuntu 8.10+KDE 3.5 & Kubuntu 9.0.4 and KDE 4.2.2.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Worst release so far of Virtualbox. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the project, but this install has borked EVERYTHING. Messed up my network drivers, crashed dozens of times, thrashed my VM drivers, has no connectivity between my VMs and the internet....

It has made all of my VMs currently unusable, and I haven't found an easy downgrade path.
belzecue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu

Post by belzecue »

>> It has made all of my VMs currently unusable, and I haven't found an easy downgrade path.

The install creates backups of your previous xml settings files. You should be able to restore them after reinstalling v2.1.4 -- if you have trouble removing v2.2.0, first run a 'repair' install on it, then do an uninstall. For your VMs, just uninstall the 2.2.0 guest tools and reinstall the original 2.1.4 tools.

I agree with you: I'm a VirtualBox fanboy too, but this release looks to be very poorly or hastily tested, or a decision was made to put it out despite the bugs. I'm sure they'll be fixed soon. It was quite a shock to see our normally rock-solid VirtualBox behaving like a Beta after the upgrade.
AVee
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by AVee »

KeyzerSuze wrote:I would have to agree with other people, 2.2 is not ready for normal use. I have had to down grade my support tools in XP back to 2.1 - for mouse.
I ran into the same issue, mouse integration work perfectly with 2.1.4, it still worked perfectly after upgrading VB to 2.2. However it broke after I installed the 2.2 guest additions. Otherwise VB 2.2 is working just fine for me, so upgrading VirtualBox without updating the guest additions might also be an option.

What I can't (yet) figure out, is there a separate download for the guest additions somewhere? Because of this issue I'd like to install the 2.1.4 guest additions even though I'm running my VM in 2.2.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Older GA versions can be found if you follow the FAQ or the quickclick FAQ.