Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
belzecue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu

Re: Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

Post by belzecue »

belzecue wrote:I'm getting the same 'r6025' message and application crash when trying to set up a shared folder for an Ubuntu 8.10 VM on a Win7beta host. I can't do without shared folders so I'll have to roll back to 2.1.4 until this is fixed.

Also, with 3D enabled in the VM, quite a few screensavers in Ubuntu 8.10 will similarly kill virtualbox when running on my Win7beta host.
OK, I uninstalled 2.2 on my host (Win7Beta), reinstalled 2.1.4, reverted my VMs to pre-2.2-guest-additions, and retested the two regressions listed above: application crash on setting up folder sharing and application crash on selecting various 3D screensavers in Ubuntu 8.10 VM. I confirmed both issues work fine under 2.1.4.

Also, a third regression in 2.2 I failed to mention... with 2.2 guest additions installed on my Ubuntu 8.10 VM, the mouse remained trapped inside the VM window. When I reverted to 2.1.4 the mouse was back to the expected behaviour of seamlessly crossing the VM window border.

So that's three serious regressions that will keep me away from 2.2 until it stabilizes. VirtualBox is still the best I've used, just a shame that 2.2 went into the wild prematurely.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

win7beta shouldn't be used for anything, let alone as a testing platform for virtualisation - its unsupported and shouldn't even be used anymore until rc1 comes out.

also, its well known that screensavers kill virtualisation products - use the host's screensaver, not the guest's.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I fail to understand why it is so hard to fathom. OpenGL is still listed as in testing/experimental.
Which means it may or may not work for you. No problem! I have it working in some of my VM's and others it just pukes. I am sure that when it is all sorted out it will be just fine. Give it some time and see what happens.
belzecue

Post by belzecue »

sej7278 wrote:win7beta shouldn't be used for anything, let alone as a testing platform for virtualisation - its unsupported and shouldn't even be used anymore until rc1 comes out.

also, its well known that screensavers kill virtualisation products - use the host's screensaver, not the guest's.
You are right. But it doesn't explain why everything works perfectly with 2.1.4 under Win7Beta. The 2.2 improvements/changes might not be playing well with the Win7 codebase.
dekdeck
Guest OSses: wiv xp pro

Post by dekdeck »

Thanks to the development team for doing a great job with virtual box. i am using windows 7 host and xp pro as guest. this new version of vittuallbox gives me an error and shuts down wheni try to assign a shared folder, both while the virtual machine is online and offline. error; "virtualbox gui as stopped working"...ps. is branching snapshots going to be implemented or not, cause if it is going to be implemented it would knock down a lot of hurdles for me and i think others too.
Leonid
Volunteer

Post by Leonid »

Sasquatch wrote:
Leonid wrote:
w00dy wrote: the 3d-effect works fine, but my mouse pointer is invisbible??????
any idea how i can fix this?
thx
Disable mouse pointer integration, else mouse pointer would be invisible with guest compiz.
Really? I see the Guest cursor just fine with Compiz-Fusion and mouse integration. You say the exact oposite in another thread :?.
Yeah, pardon, it's typo. Should read as "Enable mouse pointer integration...."
kebabbert
Volunteer
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Post by kebabbert »

Holey Moley! Me. Like. This. Software. Thanks a lot VB guys! I wish you lots of S - E - X and beer in a near future! :)
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

kebabbert wrote:Holey Moley! Me. Like. This. Software. Thanks a lot VB guys! I wish you lots of S - E - X and beer in a near future! :)
Let's not give them that, else the quality of the software will go down big time ;) :P.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
shoot-me

Post by shoot-me »

Sasquatch wrote:
kebabbert wrote:Holey Moley! Me. Like. This. Software. Thanks a lot VB guys! I wish you lots of S - E - X and beer in a near future! :)
Let's not give them that, else the quality of the software will go down big time ;) :P.
bah humbug! In my day it was fag packets and a pint of the dark brown stuff to keep us developing useful stuff. Usually it was followed up a few months later with post review comments like 'huh - of course there's no way that would have worked like that!' :twisted:

Good progress - keep up the good work !
--
10 things about binary you should know. Some get it, the rest don't.
mbl
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by mbl »

This upgrade is just a bag of problems. Stay away.
greekman12

Post by greekman12 »

For the most part, vb 2.2 works for me....except for exporting/importing vm's.

Seems not to recognize hard disks after the vm's are re-imported.
laroald

Post by laroald »

I still use version 2.1.2. With all these problems with 2.2.0 I am a bit afraid about what's best to do. My host is XP prof, 2 gb ram, 7-8 guests.. and everything funks well. Now I have to make a decision about what to do; Wait for a new and better version, go directly for 2.2.0 or update by 2.1.4 before I further on update to 2.2.0? Last time I went from 1.6.4 to 2.1.2 without problems. I shouldn't be neccessary to by 2.1.4?
MasterEvilAce
Guest OSses: Windows 7 x64

Post by MasterEvilAce »

laroald wrote:I still use version 2.1.2. With all these problems with 2.2.0 I am a bit afraid about what's best to do. My host is XP prof, 2 gb ram, 7-8 guests.. and everything funks well. Now I have to make a decision about what to do; Wait for a new and better version, go directly for 2.2.0 or update by 2.1.4 before I further on update to 2.2.0? Last time I went from 1.6.4 to 2.1.2 without problems. I shouldn't be neccessary to by 2.1.4?
Go to 2.1.4 and stay there until 2.2 is fixed.. too many problems
PSatya
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by PSatya »

Host: Ubuntu 9.04 (beta).
Guest: Windows XP
VM format: .vmdk

Uninstalled 2.1, installed 2.2 and reinstalled Guest Additions.
Works like a charm! I also got the sound working out of the box!
(I was not having sound with earlier versions, but I was too busy to troubleshoot that).

Great job guys!! I just love it!! :D

Thanks,
Satya
P.S: Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work anymore, but the Host+Del works fine.
belzecue

Post by belzecue »

What a nightmare 2.2. is turning out to be...

In addition to the issues I related earlier in this thread (ignore the 3D issue, because as pointed out it's experimental), now I can't remove 2.2 from an XPSP2 PC. I run uninstall from add/remove programs, it gets halfway through the uninstall then abruptly rolls back and reports that it couldn't uninstall -- no reason given. I'm going to try installing 2.1.4 over it and hope it works. I'm very happy with 2.1.4, even with the handful of known bugs (PAE etc) and appreciate all the work done by Sun's developers and the fact that it's free. I'm sure 2.2 will turn out pretty good, but I'll wait until it has gone through one or two minor updates before trying it again.