3D Acceleration Support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
pcjason

Post by pcjason »

Sasquatch wrote:I just tested it with Compiz-Fusion. That's a no-go. Got the white screen. It does rotate however. It probably needs some tweaking.
Can you elaborate on this? From the release notes it appears that OpenGL is only supported in Windows-based guests. If there is some way to get OpenGL support in linux-based guests I would love to hear it!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

pcjason wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:I just tested it with Compiz-Fusion. That's a no-go. Got the white screen. It does rotate however. It probably needs some tweaking.
Can you elaborate on this? From the release notes it appears that OpenGL is only supported in Windows-based guests. If there is some way to get OpenGL support in linux-based guests I would love to hear it!
Oh, must have misread it then. Thought it was also available for Linux Guests. Well, that explains it at least :lol:.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Wiz

Post by Wiz »

Just tried Half-Life 1 into a windows guest. Linux 64 bits host with a no real graphic card : "Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM 20061102"

The game is playable at 640x480, 15~30 fps. But mouse is going anywhere so I was not able to get far in the game (and had to pause the game to screenshot).
Screenshot here : http://uppix.net/d/3/b/69089886e55252b1 ... 6f134.html
Leonid
Volunteer

Post by Leonid »

Wiz wrote:Just tried Half-Life 1 into a windows guest. Linux 64 bits host with a no real graphic card : "Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM 20061102"

The game is playable at 640x480, 15~30 fps. But mouse is going anywhere so I was not able to get far in the game (and had to pause the game to screenshot).
Screenshot here : http://uppix.net/d/3/b/69089886e55252b1 ... 6f134.html
Disable mouse pointer integration.
Wiz

Post by Wiz »

Leonid wrote:Disable mouse pointer integration.
What an idiot. Thank you :D
AlGaN
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Post by AlGaN »

Hi all,

Just one question about OpenGL support in a Windows XP guest on Linx host (Ubuntu 8.04).

I'd love to get OpenGL support for developing apps, but in my XP guest it seems that 3D is only working fullscreen (e.g. XP screensaver 3D examples). If I try to execute a Qt OpenGL example in a window I only get empty widgets/labels in the app, showing the backgroud of the desktop.

So is there only fullscreen OpenGL support or is it meant to be working in window mode, too?

Thanks for any hints,
AlGaN
Leonid
Volunteer

Post by Leonid »

AlGaN wrote:Hi all,

I'd love to get OpenGL support for developing apps, but in my XP guest it seems that 3D is only working fullscreen (e.g. XP screensaver 3D examples). If I try to execute a Qt OpenGL example in a window I only get empty widgets/labels in the app, showing the backgroud of the desktop.

So is there only fullscreen OpenGL support or is it meant to be working in window mode, too?

Thanks for any hints,
AlGaN
Should work in windowed mode too.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

>So is there only fullscreen OpenGL support or is it meant to be working in window mode, too?

Windowed mode work fine. - Running "Serious Sam 1" OpenGL in Windowed mode - it is one of the _very_ few games that allow windowed mode playing.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

well glest is windowed might wanna test that one

homeworld:cateclysm has an opengl renderer (which i will test sometime in jan 09 when i get time) works in wine

also does this work? http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=36841
doorknob60

Post by doorknob60 »

pcjason wrote:
I'm running Cruchbang Linux (Based on Ubuntu 8.10) as a guest in Virtualbox 2.1.0 in Arch Linux 64 Host, and I can run glxgears and glxinfo says that I have direct rendering. I of course installed guest additions. So it seems like OpenGL is supported on Linux too, because I certainly wasn't able to do this before.
Leonid
Volunteer

Post by Leonid »

doorknob60 wrote: I'm running Cruchbang Linux (Based on Ubuntu 8.10) as a guest in Virtualbox 2.1.0 in Arch Linux 64 Host, and I can run glxgears and glxinfo says that I have direct rendering. I of course installed guest additions. So it seems like OpenGL is supported on Linux too, because I certainly wasn't able to do this before.
It's certainly not supported on Linux, yet.
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

Post by The MAZZTer »

IIRC the VirtualBox CHM says Linux OpenGL accel is really really slow ATM. Probably best just to pretend it doesn't exist until it gets faster in a future release.
Leonid
Volunteer

Post by Leonid »

The MAZZTer wrote:IIRC the VirtualBox CHM says Linux OpenGL accel is really really slow ATM. Probably best just to pretend it doesn't exist until it gets faster in a future release.
There's no opengl 3d acceleration support for Linux guests provided by virtualbox at the moment. Slow or fast, whatever.
If something works it means you're using software renderer.
sannysanoff

Google Sketchup with 3D acceleration enabled

Post by sannysanoff »

Seems to draw quickly enough (not immediately, but after 10-15 seconds - JIT?), but now I am unable to select face(plane) by clicking. Still I can select the whole object using rectangular selection. Switching off hardware acceleration in Sketchup's options helps, but drawing goes back to slow.

Ubuntu 8.04 i386 + Windows XP + VBox 2.1.0
Sketchup 7 build 8657

Any ideas?

Alex.
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

Post by The MAZZTer »

Leonid wrote:
The MAZZTer wrote:IIRC the VirtualBox CHM says Linux OpenGL accel is really really slow ATM. Probably best just to pretend it doesn't exist until it gets faster in a future release.
There's no opengl 3d acceleration support for Linux guests provided by virtualbox at the moment. Slow or fast, whatever.
If something works it means you're using software renderer.
Sorry I was thinking of Linux HOSTS. Just checked the CHM and realized I had gotten a little confused. :)