3D Acceleration Support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Roman1

Re: 3D Acceleration Support

Post by Roman1 »

Roman1 wrote:Disabling 3d support in the VMs config as workaround.
it looks like the problem is SMP; going back to a single CPU solves this (and many other) problems.

Code: Select all

> glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes 
server glx vendor string: Chromium
server glx version string: 1.2 Chromium
server glx extensions:                 
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: Chromium                                     
client glx version string: 1.2 Chromium                                
client glx extensions:                                                 
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
GLX version: 1.3
... well, almost:

Code: Select all

Segmentation fault
Roman
jrennell
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, BSD

Post by jrennell »

ajmas wrote:I had Direct 3D working for a while, but now my dxdiag tool is crashing. I had changed something, but I am not sure what, so I am not sure how to resolve the issue. What I have tried since include:
- resinstalled Direct X 9.0c
- reinstalled the new guest additions (first displacing d3d9.dll and d3d8.dll)

This does not seem to have resolved the issue. Does anyone have a list of direct-x related files they have installed in their Windows XP installation, if you have managed to get Direct 3D working with VirtualBox 3.0.
Make sure you reinstall the guest additions from within safe mode otherwise windows will automatically replace those d3d#.dll files with the originals.
stmok
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: XP Pro SP3, Debian, Fedora, and CentOS

Post by stmok »

Just like to add...

Using Sempron 2800+ (Socket 754 version: 1.6Ghz overclocked 2.0Ghz), with GF7600GS and 1GB RAM.

VirtualBox version: 3.0.2 (PUEL)
Host OS: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Guest OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 (Current patches)

Games tested...

* Act of War: Direct Action
=> Installs fine. (Video prelude during install runs fine). Does NOT run. => Shows initial splash screen, but then returns back to desktop.

* Need For Speed: Underground
=> Installs fine. Does NOT run. => Shows initial splash screen, but then returns back to desktop.

* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
=> Installs fine. Does NOT run. => Shows initial splash screen, but then returns back to desktop.

* Tux Racer (Windows version)
=> Runs fine. As its an OpenGL application.

* Jedi Knight: Jedi OutCast
=> Installs fine. => You need to run it in "Safe Mode" (link is provided by default) because running it regular mode causes an error message to appear saying that you do not have a 3D accelerator.
=> In Safe Mode: it seems to run, as its an OpenGL application...But brightness is stuck at default though (safe mode thing?), and there are sometimes graphical glitches. I've had to switch all details on lowest and 640x480 resolution, because my hardware isn't all that fast.
=> Some video cinematics are a bit twitchy. (Audio and subtitles go out of sync in pre-rendered scenes, sound disappears in some video, etc).

Overall, so far so good. Will try again when the next major release of VirtualBox comes.

Good Work VB devs!
bobdevis
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP, Ununtu

Post by bobdevis »

Host: Kubuntu 9.04 64bit
Guest: XP SP3 32bit
Hardware: First gen AMD Phenom Quad, Nvidia 8800GT, 4GB RAM
Tested game: Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island (DX9c)
VBox version: 3.0.2

It runs! The fps is unacceptably low and the rendering is incomplete (polygons missing) with all settings on minimal. There are also extra delays here and there. The game is however stable.
Keep up the good work.
Gothicawakening
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: WindowsXP, WindowsVista

Post by Gothicawakening »

Not sure if this belongs here on in a new thread... could a mod move it if it's in the wrong place please.

I was excited to see 3D support getting better and better, but sadly the one application I need it for is still unusable.

When I try and run it I get this error: (Warning); Graphics adapter "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter/\\.\DISPLAY1": no hardware rasterization support (Error)
Although the program still loads, one part of the window (the part where the 3D stuff is) never updates and only shows whatever is placed on top of it (for example if I move another window over it, an image of that windows will remain there).

I was wondering if this is a problem with my setup, or if that is a feature that is not available?

Host: Fedora Linux 11
Guest: Windows XP SP2
Software: GrandMA 3D (A production lighting pre-visualization program).
VBox: 3.0.2
Hardware: Intel Core2 Duo, Nvidia 9400M G
bobdevis
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP, Ununtu

Post by bobdevis »

GrandMa's site states you need "Microsoft DirectX® version 7 or above".
If they are using DX7, it is NOT going to work with VBox in it's current state. The stuff that is working now is all DX8 or DX9. Only VMWare has somewhat working DX7 support, for now....
Gothicawakening
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: WindowsXP, WindowsVista

Post by Gothicawakening »

I'm running DX9, would it be worth down-grading to 8?

This is one of my only 'need to reboot into Windows' program left. I would LOVE to get this working!

Edit: Oops sorry, you said "they" not "you". So if they use DX7 specific stuff (even though it works with DX9) chances are I'm out of luck?
McStarfighter

Post by McStarfighter »

BTW: Have you ever tried to use GrandMA in Wine?
chatterbox21
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by chatterbox21 »

Very helpful and informative thread. I tried it and it fixed most bugs and errors. Thanks!
chatterbox21
VBox Version: OSE Debian

Post by chatterbox21 »

Gothicawakening wrote:I'm running DX9, would it be worth down-grading to 8?

This is one of my only 'need to reboot into Windows' program left. I would LOVE to get this working!

Edit: Oops sorry, you said "they" not "you". So if they use DX7 specific stuff (even though it works with DX9) chances are I'm out of luck?
When I upgraded mine to version 9 I started to encounter some graphics bugs. I dont know why...Would it be by compatibility?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

>I'm running DX9, would it be worth down-grading to 8?

Downgrading to DX8 runtime won't help. This is because DX9 also supports DX8 instructions.

What is needed, is applications that use DX8. (or OpenGL)

You need to understand how "DirectX Runtime Library" works, before asking such questions.

-Technologov
lonelymetal
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by lonelymetal »

I use VirtualBox 3.0.4 on WinXP host running WinXP guest os and 3D acceleration on in headless mode. I would like to connect to my guest os via VRDP (or TurboVNC for better graphic result) and run 3D application (CATIA V5R19) in guest os.
As I run the program in guest os, "chromium render spu" window is appears with 3D graphic of program in Host os and nothing in guest os except program window. By turning off 3D acceleration the chromium render spu window is not appears but 3D graphic is very slow in guest os.
Anyone has any idea or solution?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

3D Acceleration Support only works locally, not remotely.

I don't know any software to make it work remotely... maybe hardware IP KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch can help you.

-Technologov
NarsiL
VBox Version: OSE other

Post by NarsiL »

Hello I am desperately trying to get Prince of Persia games working. They run strange(too fast or too slow sometimes both) on multi processors. I tried Virtualbox as you will guess but I get 'no hal driver found' and something about DirectX. I think game requires 9.0 at least. I guess it won't run on VirtualBox soon. Can I run it on VMWare or some other way? Any suggestion is appreciated.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

original Prince of Persia is a DOS game and should work best on DOSbox, but maybe it can run on VBox too...