3D Acceleration Support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Windows guest will likely need to have driver written.

Probably OpenGL will come first, as it is a cross-platform technique.
ponhovo

Post by ponhovo »

Technologov,
i already did ó.o
since the beginning, actualy
AKR
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP,7,10 Ubuntu 18.04, 16.04

Post by AKR »

For information.
http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/ ... l#features
Accelerated 3-D graphics on Windows XP guests — Workstation 6.5 virtual machines now work with applications that use DirectX 9 accelerated graphics with shaders up through Shader Model 2.0 on Windows XP guests. Hosts can be running Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Linux.
Two

Post by Two »

As I already said: First VM with 3D support will win. VMWare will release it soon, how about VBox?
Phobos
Volunteer

Post by Phobos »

please, define "win"...

both vmware and parallels have been announcing 3D support since quite some time now... and vbox has it on it's roadmap... if one or the other get it first, it will not change anything
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

JshWright wrote:http://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/13964

Hrmm...

/me looks forward to 2.2
JshWright, I've deleted your other copy and unlocked this thread. Not sure why it was locked in the first place.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
scotlfs

So its coming

Post by scotlfs »

It looks like form the previous post and reviewing the link that 3d acceleration is coming to virtualbox.
tomdavidson

Post by tomdavidson »

hi, first post in this forum and have just begone using virtualbox - Im glad this tech is in the Sun family and have high expectations!

Im not so concerned about gaming so maybe that different perceptive is what makes me all the proposed strategies as "limited" and not compatible with my big picture understanding of virtualbox.

The hardware acceleration should have a network architecture rather than a guest to host relationship that is constrained by the physical machine.

The opengl hardware devices should be in application servers that provide the service to the clients - this method opens many more possibilities that virtualizing the hardware.
  • Retrofit existing server resources by plugging in network devices.
    One vbox guest utilizing several 3d accelerator application servers.
    Multiple vbox guest utilizing one application server.
    One vbox guest utilizing one application server (your gaming desktop, vbox host, 3d app server - all in one.
The other big kick, is we can do this RIGHT now but implementing rather than developing - off course seamless integration will require development, but for now, operators can install and configure software for all the "one off" implementations.

My first reaction when reading this thread was Chromium, Chromium , Chromium !
http://chromium.sourceforge.net/ the app server can even run on Windows servers.

But VirtualGL looks good too, although a some what different set-up than Chromium (for thin clients rather and an x proxy) but still exports the resource on to the net and all ready has Sun ties. http://www.virtualgl.org/

Im surprised one of these solutions are not part of the official road map - obviously I do not have as clear of understanding as the Engineers making the decisions. The main purpose of the post was to encourage thinking past the single desktop - a stratigy that will most likely have more appeal to the Sun xVM product line

-tom
Beno@
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: OpenSuse Factory

Post by Beno@ »

I though it would be easy to have opengl support in virtualbox :?:

directX is quite useless in virtualbox since it is especially used for gamming and i don't think gaming under a virtual machine is a really good idea :?

but opengl is usefull for solidworks for exemple, for some video viewer, ...
IAmBill

Post by IAmBill »

Beno@ wrote:I though it would be easy to have opengl support in virtualbox :?:

directX is quite useless in virtualbox since it is especially used for gamming and i don't think gaming under a virtual machine is a really good idea :?

but opengl is usefull for solidworks for exemple, for some video viewer, ...
There are reasons to play games in Virtual Machines. I use Vista x64 as a host on my laptop... I'd much rather run an older game like Warcraft 3 on a Windows XP x86 guest than on the Vista host. Not only will the game function better in a more native interface, but it will also leave a significantly smaller footprint on my HDD what with the monstrosity that is Windows SXS on Vista. OpenGL support would be very nice, though, because I develop applications with OpenGL and it'd be nice to have another environment to test my work on my laptop without having to repartition the hard disk.
Leonardo_da_Vinvi

Post by Leonardo_da_Vinvi »

Video performance cna be very important when used for graphic intensive applications, e.g. displaying and updating real time future / stock markets charts ( 150 + times / second). A slow video card will very quickly result in very tired eyes and a headache because of the screenflicker and the GPU trying to keep up...

leonardo
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

2D performance is very fast already.
phnor

Post by phnor »

Hello everybody,

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10. I'm trying to install VisualStudio and RoboticsStudio from Microsoft to my VBox. As they're working only with directX, I'm not able to use RoboticsStudio, even if VisulStudio is vorking perfectly fine...

I didn't wanted to install a dual boot as I thought virtualisation good enough to work with.

Conclusion: if I couldn't work with directX through VBox, I will have to do a dualboot, and that is not the solution I would prefer or recommand...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Good news: VirtualBox 2.1.0 seems to have some OpenGL support !

I would like to see how good it is.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I just tested it with Compiz-Fusion. That's a no-go. Got the white screen. It does rotate however. It probably needs some tweaking.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.