3D Acceleration Support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
pchev
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows

Re: 3D Acceleration Support

Post by pchev »

As I understand d3d8.dll is directx 8 and d3d9.dll is directx 9.
My XP VM originally contain a copy of the Microsoft version of this two dll. I don't know if this files are part of the basis XP system or are here because of a dxsetup launched by a third party installer in the past. (this is a old VM I use for a lot of testing)

After installing Virtualbox 3.0 beta2 I use the menu Devices / Install Guest Additions, this launch the installer from the virtual CD. I select to install direct3d from this installer and reboot the VM.
With this version you not need to install wined3d separately, this install the wine interface code in d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll in place of the Microsoft version.

When I do that for the first time dxdiag tell me that direct3d is not available and looking at C:\windows\system32 I see the two old dll dating of 2004.
Then I try to remove them and install the Guest Additions again, but after reboot the old files have returned again. I don't know enough of windows to know which process do this magic (and without any prompt).

Doing the same in safe mode it finally work.
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Very interesting. Maybe I'll try this out! Thanks!
cracken
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by cracken »

hmm I installed VirtualBox 3.0 Beta2 setup a Virtual Windows XP and installed the guestadditions for beta2.. enabled 3D support + 128MB ram ofc..
But eve-online doesnt seem to work with it:/ game starts all great and detects grafikcard and so one but once i try to log into my account and the character screen is supposed to popup game just dies... no error msg nothing. Someone siminar experince with that or even better a solution to that:)

best regards
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

3d Acceleration is grayed out for me on every VM... I'm using Windows XP x64.... Any ideas?
nowave

Post by nowave »

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm trying to run Ubuntu 9.04 as a guest OS on an Windows XP SP3, both OSs are 32 bit versions. Under the Display options I am unable to select Extended features, that is, the Enable 3D acceleration is inaccessible. Any ideas?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

crhylove: 3D Acceleration is only available for 32-bit Windows guests.
nowave

Post by nowave »

Technologov wrote:crhylove: 3D Acceleration is only available for 32-bit Windows guests.
Hello Technologov!
I had a feeling that the 3d acceleration is available for all of the guest OSs, as of version 3.0? Which I've forgotten to mention I'm using.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

nowave: Best to look in user's manual of _your_ version of VirtualBox to see what are the limitations.

See section "4.8. Hardware 3D acceleration"
nowave

Post by nowave »

Ok, will look it up. Thanks!
nowave

Post by nowave »

I'm afraid it does not say anything about being unable to select the 3D acceleration. It only states that it has been disabled by default, since it's still an experimental version. I can not even enable the 3D acceleration in the virtual machine settings, as you can see in the attachment.
Attachments
3daccell.jpg
3daccell.jpg (126.56 KiB) Viewed 36816 times
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

nowave:
1. Check that 3D acceleration works on Host. (you can download TuxRacer or Google Earth for that)
2. If it does, then open bug report in bugzilla.
nowave

Post by nowave »

@Technologov
Google Earth is working in Direct3D mode, while TuxRacer isn't working at all.
I've also ran dxdiag, and went through all the test there, but everything seems to be ok.
markba

Post by markba »

Tip. You can test if your host is 3D enabled, by the following command:

Code: Select all

glxinfo |grep direct
If it states 'Yes', than it's OK.

On topic.

I have the same problem (disabled checkbox for 3D accelaration). Strange thing though, that I'm certain, the checkbox was enabled at first, but suddendly, it was disabled, no matter what I did (re-installing guest additions, rebooting, etc.).
VBoxTool: VirtualBox automation tools http://vboxtool.sourceforge.net/
ajmas
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ajmas »

I had Direct 3D working for a while, but now my dxdiag tool is crashing. I had changed something, but I am not sure what, so I am not sure how to resolve the issue. What I have tried since include:
- resinstalled Direct X 9.0c
- reinstalled the new guest additions (first displacing d3d9.dll and d3d8.dll)

This does not seem to have resolved the issue. Does anyone have a list of direct-x related files they have installed in their Windows XP installation, if you have managed to get Direct 3D working with VirtualBox 3.0.

BTW One thing that does bother me is that in the version information for the two DLLs installed Microsoft is defined at the publisher, even when the rest makes reference to WineD3D.
VB version: 6.x Primary OS: MacOS X 11.0.1 on Intel Mac
Roman1

Post by Roman1 »

3D support in 3.0 seems to hang my display halfway during KDE startup. Windows Vista 64bit host, Fedora 10 64bit guest.
Only the mouse pointer still moves, everything else is frozen. I can ssh into the machine, but no keyboard or display. Disabling 3d support in the VMs config as workaround.

> glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
OpenGL Warning: Failed to connect to host. Make sure 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM.
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2

Roman