Network printing

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
supremedalek
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by supremedalek »

Port 631 is for cups
qstorm11

Printing and accessing network resources

Post by qstorm11 »

Ok I'm new here but my solution worked quite well for me.

Shut down your Guest completely
Highlight your Guest
Go to the Settings button for the Virtual machine on the Sun VirtualBox
Choose Network
You can leave the adapter type to whatever the default was but instead of NAT, choose Host Interface and then click on the adapter you want to use in the box below. Those Host adapters are the actual adapters on your physical machine.

Now launch your VM again and your IP will have changed to be in line with your actual network. Network printers will now be available and providing Samba is set up correctly, your shares will be available.

Worked well for me.
dawgonit

Network Printer DOES work on Ubuntu and NAT!!!

Post by dawgonit »

Hey I worked on this for 3 days and the solution was SIMPLE and works with NAT

Have this working with an HP 2840 Network printer connected directly to the network.

SOLUTION:

Install your printer drivers from CD or website first, then:

Start ->
Ctl Panel ->
Printers and Faxes ->
Add a Printer ->
Next ->
LOCAL Printer attached to this computer ->
Create a new port: Type of port: Standard TCP/IP Port (once setup, you can simply "Use the following port" if you delete and readd printer) ->
Foillow Add TCP/IP wisard (note only enter number "192.168.1.27" not "http://192.168.1.27" etc..,)
Rest is pretty straight forward.
Works like a charm!

Most important part, do not add as a network printer. This sounds counter intutiive, but i think the reason it does not work is that it listens for broadcasts but is on different network so will never hear broadcasts. NAT works fine if your port setup requests printer info and initiates communication with printer then NAT can route responses back from the printer, they are accepted because they have been requested and printing works perfectly.
gioloi
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Network printing

Post by gioloi »

dawgonit wrote:Hey I worked on this for 3 days and the solution was SIMPLE and works with NAT.
Perferct, this solution works for me too!

Thank you
ecelis
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by ecelis »

Tried it but it did not work for me. Is 192.168.1.27 generic or do I need to find my own address?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

It depends on your exact network configuration (router, guest configuration (nat?) etc.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I've found solutions for Mac/Linux where you can use "cups" (e.g . ht*p://10.0.2.2:631/printers/printername), as well as a solution for printers directly on the network (viewtopic.php?p=59377#p59377), but I'm stumped as to how to get a USB host-connected printer (on Win7) working from XP (client) while using NAT in Vbox.

On a tip elsewhere, I've tried creating a printer on the host pointing to the host IP, and then in Vbox XP using ht*p://10.0.2.2:/printers/printername (or a share name for that matter), but it doesn't work. Neither does specifying port 9100, which is the default port number used on the host. I just don't know what the URL should be. Perhaps something else needs to be done in the host's printer configuration.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Why mention USB? The nature of the connection between print server (host) and printer is not relevant to clients. All clients care about is the sharing API presented to the network, which you create in the usual way. Anyway, you won't find much detailed networking advice on these forums, because these are not networking advice forums. You should be Googling the wider internet for this stuff - the fact that one of your client PCs is a VM does not matter. The NAT choice matters somewhat, but you haven't explained why you need to use NAT - rather than "Host Only" or "Bridged".
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Yes, I've been doing a lot of searching around on this, but inevitably people are talking about printers directly on the network or cups scenarios, which is why I emphasized that it was directly connected to a Windows machine. This is the best thread I found anywhere. I hadn't thought of thinking about it not in terms of Vbox at all, so I'll try those kinds of searches next.

NAT is the default setting and most typically the recommended option. I used to run bridged, but upon a fresh Windows install I decided to try it this way instead since it's the cleanest, simplest mode of installation. Plus, it's nice not having to worry about a potential BSOD upon upgrading Vbox, which is something that could happen exactly at the time when networking was being touched by the installer for the purposes of melding in bridging to the system. NAT doesn't have to get its hands dirty.
Salo

Post by Salo »

Hello,
I'm unable to print via Virtualbox installed in OSX 10.5.8 ( with XP sp3 ). My problem is with the ethernet connection: I'm using a RIP for my printer ( installed in windows xp - VB) and it's impossible to connect. From the RIP I can enter the printer IP and port - everything is correct but no result...I tried NAT and bridge without success. Any clue ?

Thanks
nak

Post by nak »

I don't really know anything about NAT DNS whatever, but this is how I got a WLAN printer it work:-

1) Install printer driver in guestOS (WinXP in my case)
2) Go to Printers and right click, then 'Properties'
3) select 'Ports' tab
4) select 'Add Port'
5) select 'Standard TCP/IP' and then 'New Port'
6) enter the IP port of your WLan printer eg 192.168.1.5
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Network printing
Postby ashz » 01 Sep 2007, 13:38
New record? (Even tho it kept being replyed at)
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
Satchi

Post by Satchi »

This is really working thanks for your reply...