USB devices with unprintable characters...

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
darpified

USB devices with unprintable characters...

Post by darpified »

On my Linux host (8.10), I have attached a Canon USB MF3110 printer and VirtualBox recognizes it without a hitch, however, when I add a device filter for the guest OS (windows XP), then try to restart the guest it crashes and is unable to recognize the VM. Giving this error message

Assertion failed at '/home/vbox/vbox-2.1.2/src/VBox/Main/MachineImpl.cpp' (6034) in nsresult Machine::saveSettings(int).
Unexpected exception 'N3xml8XmlErrorE' (PCDATA invalid Char value 1.
Location: '/home/rp/.VirtualBox/Machines/winxp/winxp.xml', line 36 (1), column 135).
Please contact the product vendor!.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {339abca2-f47a-4302-87f5-7bc324e6bbde}
Callee:
IMachine {ea6fb7ea-1993-4642-b113-f29eb39e0df0}

I searched through the bug reports but was unable to find anything relevant.

The issue is this unprintable character '^A' inside the USB device name, comes out as a little square box whenever I select the printer manually, but crashes whenever it tries to read in the virtualmachine file.

As soon as I manually edit the device filter out, it comes right back up happy as punch.

I would presume that it has something to do with not being properly escaped out?
<USBController enabled="true" enabledEhci="true">
<DeviceFilter name="Canon,Inc.^A MF3110" active="true" vendorId="04A9" productId="2660"...

Anyhoo, I'm creating this device filter via the VirtualBox GUI, and selecting the USB printer from the picklist.

Note, the printer works perfectly fine, I just can't use it inside a device filter.

If this is an unknown bug, please let me know so I can redirect it appropriately, or if any more details on how to reproduce it, the device string, yada-yada-yada.

Great software by the way.
darpified

Post by darpified »

More specific error message here...

Could not load the settings file '/home/rp/.VirtualBox/Machines/winxp/winxp.xml'.
PCDATA invalid Char value 1.
Location: '/home/rp/.VirtualBox/Machines/winxp/winxp.xml', line 36 (1), column 135.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Did you also try to change the Identifier field (the one with the bogus character '^A') so it doesn't note that character, but does show the name of device itself, instead of removing the entire filter from the settings menu? That way, the device is shown properly in the Filter list.

I'd still file a bug report in the Bugtracker for this. It should filter these 'illegal' characters. You need a separate account for it though.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
darpified

filter

Post by darpified »

I removed the fields containing the char's, leaving things like serial and device id.

Works without a hitch like that

If I just remove the offending char just from that field, it still doesn't id it.

will post a bugreport

>here
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3383