USB webcam doesn't work in XP virtual machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kilou

USB webcam doesn't work in XP virtual machine

Post by kilou »

Hi,

I'm using VirtualBox 1.3.8 on Ubuntu host with an XP guest system. When I plug in my USB webcam (logitech quickcam deluxe for notebook) it is detected in the list of USB device as Camera [0100]. I can select it and XP guest ask me to install the drivers. There is nothing in the list of hardware so I have to install the drivers from the CD but for some reasons I cannot install them (a message say that the setup application to install the drivers is not a valid Win32 app :shock: )

Anyway as far as I understood it is not possible to use XP drivers to run a hardware piece because the VM has its own drivers. Is this right? Any idea how I could make my webcam work in the XP guest (I need it for Skype WITH video which is not yet available in Linux).

Thanks
kilou

Post by kilou »

Solved! I had to:

chgrp -R vboxusers /proc/bus/usb
chmod -R g+w /proc/bus/usb

and then I could install the drivers...
mseewald

Post by mseewald »

Hello kilou,

I am using a Logitech Quickcam and could install drivers as well. But could you activate it? Every time, I try to use it, it slows down the VM and nothing happens. This happens in both Skype and the Logitech software.

Can you confirm it works for you? I wouldn't mind buying a new webcam. But, I need to know which one actually works with Skype in a WinXP guest (Linux host).

I was not more successful with VMware 6 workstation either. :(

Regards,
Michael
kilou

Post by kilou »

mseewald, my webcam works with MSN Messenger and in the Logitech quickcam program as well. I've not yet tried it with Skype but I suppose it'll work the same. I can confirm it works for me but the rendering is quite slow and the image lags a lot. This is probably due to the USB2 high speed still being unsupported :?:

Your webcam should work as well. Do you other USB devices work correctly in the VM??