Emulating Windows 11 Pro hangs

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Toni77

Emulating Windows 11 Pro hangs

Post by Toni77 »

Very good to everyone:

I have a problem with Virtualvox, I am currently using the latest version Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2)

I have a Computer with 16 Gigs of Ram Third-generation Intel Core i7-3770 Processor, 3.4 GHz

I put all the settings, Secure Boot everything perfect. tpm

When it starts up it's perfect, but the problem comes when I update the system, I don't know what happens, it hangs, and there's no way, you have to restart the virtual machine and again when I click update it freezes again, however if I use hyper V works perfectly, it even lets me update all the windows Pro options, but in Virtualvox it freezes there is no way.

What options am I skipping? or am I missing to enable? Is that I practically have everything enabled, plenty of ram memory since I put 8 gigabytes of ram 80 gigabytes of hard disk 128 gigabytes of video I don't know what else I'm missing?

Thank you very much to all.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Emulating Windows 11 Pro hangs

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Toni77

Post by Toni77 »

Hello, 3d acceleration option? thank you very much for the help, with this option enabled it works perfectly. Could it be a bug in Virtualbox? If I have it disabled it freezes, if I enable it it works perfect, but some parts of Windows are not very clear or sharp. But when this option is enabled, it works perfectly, but it doesn't look clear or sharp, I suppose it's because of the 3d acceleration option?
Thank you so much.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Some folks find that 3D helps, others it hurts. 7.0 has bugs being found yet.

When 3D is on for Windows 10 & 11 VMs, disabling Transparency Effects in W10 & 11 VMs is a known workaround for the graphics glitches:
Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects
Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows