Error in Z:\VM\BIM Server\BIM Server.vbox -- Required AttachedDevice/Image element is missing.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
zeus76

Error in Z:\VM\BIM Server\BIM Server.vbox -- Required AttachedDevice/Image element is missing.

Post by zeus76 »

Hello together,

I have a problem with Virtualbox - current situation:
- Windows 10 with multiple snapshot (BIM Server)
- Error message no longer accessible - see attachment

The error occurred as follows:
- I shut down the VM and also closed Virtualbox and after that I did a Windows update since then I have this error

Have also already looked at the BIM Server.vbox incl. prep and I can't find any error - have also restored the whole directory from a last snapshot (NAS) where everything still worked.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? It seems that something has destroyed everything and even when restoring the data to a day before where everything worked, I still get the same error message.

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards
Attachments
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error in Z:\VM\BIM Server\BIM Server.vbox -- Required AttachedDevice/Image element is missing.

Post by scottgus1 »

Reboot the host so no Virtualbox process are running.
Go to Z:\VM\BIM Server
Rename "BIM Server.vbox" to "BIM Server.vbox-old"
Rename "BIM Server.vbox-prev" to "BIM Server.vbox"
Open Virtualbox, see if the error message clears.

If it doesn't, reboot the host again, then pull up a backed-up .vbox file from the latest backups where you can remember the VM working. Copy that backed-up .vbox into the VM's folder, overwriting the existing .vbox file, try Virtualbox again.
zeus76

Re: Error in Z:\VM\BIM Server\BIM Server.vbox -- Required AttachedDevice/Image element is missing.

Post by zeus76 »

Hi, thanks for your help.

Unfortunately it doesn't work - I'm puzzled because this version worked fine before and is also a restore from a day before the failure happened. Could it be that the virtual software has a bug here and an uninstall and install might help?

It doesn't make sense currently. Does anyone here know any advice?

On the other hand, I wanted to ask, is there any way to manually merge the snapshot so I can make a new link in virtualbox with one vhd (there were some snapshots and you would have to merge everything with the original VHD so we have one VHD)?

Best regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

zeus76 wrote:Could it be that the virtual software has a bug here and an uninstall and install might help?
Probably not. The XML in the .vbox file is reported as broken, and the damaged file got backed up.

You could zip and post the .vbox file, and we might be able to see what's wrong with it.
zeus76 wrote:is there any way to manually merge the snapshot so I can make a new link in virtualbox with one vhd (there were some snapshots and you would have to merge everything with the original VHD so we have one VHD)?
Try Mpack's CloneVDI.