Update not working

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
camvirt

Update not working

Post by camvirt »

I am currently running Version 7.0_6 r155176 (Qt5.15.2) running on Mx-linux 21.3 and when I ask Virtualbox to check for updates it reports nothing to do.

Is this a bug since the current version is 7.0_7.0.8 as of April ?
Attachments
virtualbox update failure.png
virtualbox update failure.png (38.31 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Update not working

Post by scottgus1 »

The newest available version is not immediately reported on the server that Virtualbox queries for updates. I believe they've said the delay is to prevent a botched new version from auto-spreading. They'll let the new version get noticed by the update query soon.
camvirt

Post by camvirt »

Then shouldn't the update preference in VB be updated to allow that time update? Currently it can be set for once a day.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The devs determine when to allow the central update reporting server to report a new version to the querying Virtualbox installations. The time they allow to pass before such reporting may vary, depending on their determination. So there is no way to adjust Virtualbox to query based on this unknown period of time.

FWIW even if the update query shows a new update, one must still manually download and start the update. This can be done at any time, not only when Virtualbox auto-queries for updates. (So I shouldn't have called it "auto-spreading" above, there's nothing "auto" about updating.)