confusion ith host only mode: why are adapter and dhcp server diferent subnet?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Manilox

confusion ith host only mode: why are adapter and dhcp server diferent subnet?

Post by Manilox »

First of all I am new and maybe I am posting this in the wrong subforum. Sorry if it is the case.

On host-only network adapter manager, I can see that I have an adapter the default adapter created by virtual box at IPv4 192.168.56.1/16, and the DHCP is enabled and the DHCP server for the adapter is on 192.168.56.100 but with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Why are the adapter and the DHCP server on different subnets? Does this have any kind of advantage?
What's the point for which the network adapter and a DHCP server are on different subnet masks instead of setting up the adapter as 192.168.56.1/24?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: confusion ith host only mode: why are adapter and dhcp server diferent subnet?

Post by scottgus1 »

The Host-Only adapter ought to have been /24. It always has been /24 in every Host-Only adapter I've ever had Virtualbox make, and in every Host-Only adapter topic on the forum I've investigated.

This very likely means that the /16 was a manual change that has been forgotten or was unnoticed.
Manilox

Re: confusion ith host only mode: why are adapter and dhcp server diferent subnet?

Post by Manilox »

scottgus1 wrote:The Host-Only adapter ought to have been /24. It always has been /24 in every Host-Only adapter I've ever had Virtualbox make, and in every Host-Only adapter topic on the forum I've investigated.

This very likely means that the /16 was a manual change that has been forgotten or was unnoticed.
Ohh so it was a misconfiguration!!

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort. :) :)