Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.6 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
galitsyn

Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.6 release

Post by galitsyn »

You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 7.0.6 is a maintenance release.

Changelog is here.
quwy

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.6 release

Post by quwy »

Guest 3D acceleration still totally unusable on the Linux host. I even cannot to take a screenshot via PrtSc key, only black square copied to the clipboard. Forced to make screenshots from the host OS.
Harold Hare

Post by Harold Hare »

I'm having a different problem with the same component.
1) When I enable 3D on a Windows 7 guest, I still don't get Aero capability. This worked in 6.1.40 but hasn't worked in any 7.0.x version.

2) When I enable 3D on Windows 10, it offers me 1600x1200 resolution but not 1600x900. When I turn 3D off it DOES offer 1600x900. It looks like some work is still needed on the graphics driver for Windows Guest Additions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For problems with 7.0 graphics or seize-ups when 3D is on:

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Harold Hare wrote:When I enable 3D on Windows 10, it offers me 1600x1200 resolution but not 1600x900.
What is "it"? Are you talking about Windows or the VM View menu?

Anyway this is not new, this has been exactly the same in every version of VirtualBox since as long as I've been using it. 1600x1200 is offered because Windows thinks you have a 4:3 display, and the reason it changes when 3D is enabled is because it looks to Windows like your PC has a different display.

So just manually drag the window border to a 16:9 aspect ratio, reboot a couple of times, and Windows should be convinced that the monitor is widescreen.
Harold Hare

Post by Harold Hare »

mpack wrote:
Harold Hare wrote:When I enable 3D on Windows 10, it offers me 1600x1200 resolution but not 1600x900.
What is "it"? Are you talking about Windows or the VM View menu?

Anyway this is not new, this has been exactly the same in every version of VirtualBox since as long as I've been using it. 1600x1200 is offered because Windows thinks you have a 4:3 display, and the reason it changes when 3D is enabled is because it looks to Windows like your PC has a different display.

So just manually drag the window border to a 16:9 aspect ratio, reboot a couple of times, and Windows should be convinced that the monitor is widescreen.
"It" is the Windows "Screen Resolution" option you get when you right-click on the desktop. There is no option on the VB View menu to set the display resolution other than toggling various settings such as "Full-screen Mode", "Seamless Mode" etc. I have tried resizing the window but at best it just stretches the desktop to fit the screen. Windows is still reporting the resolution as 1600x1200. I have turned 3D off.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

First, Harold, did you make the requested Bugtracker Ticket?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Harold Hare wrote:There is no option on the VB View menu to set the display resolution
First, pedantic point: you aren't changing the resolution, just the display size. Resolution is measured in pixels per inch or per cm, not in pixels.

Second, are you sure that the View menu doesn't have a "Virtual screen n" menu item, and under that menu item is there not a bunch of available display sizes? All of which should be enabled if the Guest Additions are installed.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:First, pedantic point: you aren't changing the resolution, just the display size. Resolution is measured in pixels per inch or per cm, not in pixels.
I don't really want to discuss this, but while you're technically right, the wrong use of the term display resolution is so common that I also adopted it nonetheless. ;)

Additionally, since we're in a VirtualBox forum, and the VirtualBox documentation also uses the terms display resolution and screen resolution for pixel dimensions, perhaps we shouldn't confuse the users even more IMHO. ;)
Harold Hare

Post by Harold Hare »

fth0 wrote:
mpack wrote:First, pedantic point: you aren't changing the resolution, just the display size. Resolution is measured in pixels per inch or per cm, not in pixels.
I don't really want to discuss this, but while you're technically right, the wrong use of the term display resolution is so common that I also adopted it nonetheless. ;)

Additionally, since we're in a VirtualBox forum, and the VirtualBox documentation also uses the terms display resolution and screen resolution for pixel dimensions, perhaps we shouldn't confuse the users even more IMHO. ;)
Sorry, I used the term "Display Resolution" because that is the one that Microsoft use in Windows.Also, I didn't realise that there was a sub-menu on the View menu.

Anyway, when I use that menu with 3D disabled it allows me to chose the resolution (1600x900) and it changes both the resolution itself and the value in Windows "Display Settings", which presumably is the expected behaviour. However, with 3D enabled it reverts to the previous setting when I try to set it and the resolution is unchanged even after a reboot.

I''ll raise it as a bug as requested.
HPSformation

Post by HPSformation »

Hello, i have a little probleme after update my Virtualbox 7.0.4 to 7.0.6, ive got on my W11 :

NtCreateFile(\Device\VBoxDrvStub) failed: Oxc0000034 (0 retries) (rc=-101)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 3 VERR_OPEN_FAILED (-101) - File/
Device open failed. Driver is probably stuck stopping/starting. Try 'sc.exe query
vboxsup• to get more information about its state. Rebooting may actually help.

Can you help me ?
OK : just désinstal and réinstall VirtualBox to Fix :)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

General update regarding Encryption of Disk Images and Encryption of VMs:

Please install the VirtualBox Extension Pack 7.0.6a (note the "a"), which contains a new library necessary to support VDI encryption and VM encryption.
csmccarron
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64 & 32, XP Mode

Post by csmccarron »

The ticket linked below is still an issue.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21230

Seamless Mode is still pretty much useless when running a Windows 10 Guest. Will this ever be fixed?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That's a discussion for the ticket. It would only be a subject for this topic if the release notes for 7.0.6 claimed it was fixed. I'll let the post stand for now, but no extended discussion please.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Virtualbox Guest Addition 7.0.7 155584 break VBoxVGA on XP

Post by FranceBB »

Hi there,
as part of the testing program, this is just to let you know that the new development snapshot 7.0.7 155584 drivers break VBoxVGA on Windows XP, in fact after installing and rebooting the screen becomes completely black.

How to reproduce:
1) Download VirtualBox 7.0.7 155584 https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... _amd64.run
2) Install Extensions Pack 7.0.7 155601 https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... ox-extpack
3) Download Guest Addition 7.0.7 155584 https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 155584.iso
4) Install the new Extensions Pack
5) Boot XP in Safe Mode
6) Install the new Guest Additions
7) Reboot in normal mode

the screen will then be blank, however the VM is responsive and you can easily turn it off via ACPI command from the Virtualbox interface.
Reverting to the Guest Addition 7.0.6 155176 fixes the issues: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _7.0.6.iso

Cheers,
Frank