Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.6 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.6 release

Post by scottgus1 »

Michel Metran wrote:VMs only work if "Memory integrity" is disabled.
This is a known problem when Hyper-V-using services like Memory Integrity are being used, and something (that we haven't quite figured out yet) is getting in the way of running Virtualbox smoothly under Hyper-V. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Post by FranceBB »

I've upgraded from Virtualbox 7.0.97 r156271 to Virtualbox 7.0.97 r156683 and now whenever I start a VM I get prompted to this:
Screenshot from 2023-04-06 22-18-47.png
Screenshot from 2023-04-06 22-18-47.png (27.26 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
although the screen is actually correctly sized at 1920x1080.
Setting "Maximum guest screen size" from "Hint" 1920x1080 to "None" doesn't help either.

I'm not quite sure why it's displaying that message.
Funnily enough, it only happens with guests in which Guest Additions are installed 'cause for those who don't have them (like my Windows98SE), it doesn't display the message.

Fedora 37 x64 kernel 6.2.9
HulkySulky

Post by HulkySulky »

quwy wrote:Guest 3D acceleration still totally unusable on the Linux host. I even cannot to take a screenshot via PrtSc key, only black square copied to the clipboard. Forced to make screenshots from the host OS.
I confirm. Even worse for me : Using Debian 11 / Gnome 3.38 as both host and guest, unable to log into Gnome (after entering password in GDM Gnome crashes immediately, and I'm back at the GDM login screen). Disabling 3D acceleration solves the problem.

I switched back to 6.1, which works flawlessly with 3D acceleration.

My advice to Linux users : stick to 6.1 for the time being...
Last edited by HulkySulky on 8. Apr 2023, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

HulkySulky wrote:Disabling 3D acceleration solves the problem.

I switched back to 6.1, which works flawlessly with 3D acceleration.
The devs would like some info to help them.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, try switching the 3D acceleration setting (off > on or on > off). If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).
HulkySulky

Post by HulkySulky »

scottgus1 wrote: Please create a ticket
Done (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21582)