Virtualbox thinks the deleted VMs are still there.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Irish21

Virtualbox thinks the deleted VMs are still there.

Post by Irish21 »

I have deleted all of my virtual machines. When I try to install a new machine, VirtualBox picks up my old setting and says I have resources at use. How do I remove those files to show that my computer resources are not being used or is that a glitch in the program? I have looked online, and I couldn't not find anything.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 31. Dec 2022, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title to reflect problem
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Help!

Post by BillG »

How did you remove the old vms? If you use the VirtualBox remove option, it asks if you want to delete the files or not.

Usually the files are stored in in Folder called VirtualBox VMs in the Users directory. I would also check that you do not have old resources registered in the VirtualBox Media Manager.
Bill
Irish21

Re: Re: Help!

Post by Irish21 »

I right clicked on the VM, removed all files and clicked on the delete all button. VirtualBox said that all the files were deleted and removed. When I tried to install a new vm. The picture is what VirtualBox shows. All my drives in the VirtualBox manager are empty. I manually cleared out my directory. I would like to use the user manual, but I cannot change my text or the background. The background is white with yellow text, and I have to highlight the text to see it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Re: Help!

Post by mpack »

Irish21 wrote:The picture is what VirtualBox shows.
You have not provided any pictures, but I'd agree that one is needed here. Use the "Upload attachment" tab to attach pictures, which must be below 128KB.
Irish21

Post by Irish21 »

My apologies, I thought the image uploaded with my original post. I removed all of my virtual machines to start over. When I tried to create a new vm, VirtualBox would show I still had computer installed even after being removed.
With the user manual, I have looked for settings on how to change the color font.
Attachments
Trying to create new vm2.jpg
Trying to create new vm2.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 199050 times
User manual 2.png
User manual 2.png (60.44 KiB) Viewed 199050 times
User manual.png
User manual.png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 199050 times
Irish21

Post by Irish21 »

Attachments
VirtualBox Media Manager2.png
VirtualBox Media Manager2.png (107.14 KiB) Viewed 199048 times
VirtualBox Media Manager.png
VirtualBox Media Manager.png (105.95 KiB) Viewed 199048 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox thinks the deleted VMs are still there.

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see how those screenshots show that there is still a "computer" in Virtualbox. (We call them "guests" or "VMs", by the way.)

The first screenshot is the "Create Virtual Machine" wizard. The main Virtualbox window behind it shows no VMs in the VM list on the left.

The second two screenshots are from the manual.

The final two screenshots show there are no hard or optical disks in the Virtual Media Manager.

These screenshots all show an empty Virtualbox to me.