Bridge Adapters not showing any network names

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
steezy

Bridge Adapters not showing any network names

Post by steezy »

Good morning all, very new to virtualbox and probably using it for reasons far from everyone else on here, anyways. In my virtual router im in the settings trying to change the network settings. Under adapter 1 i should be able to select Briadge adapater and then under names i should be able to see my active connections ot choose where to get internet from. However, the names drop down box is empty. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, updated, everything you name it. Nothing works. I saw someone say installing a service to my internet adapter but that wont go through either. I just need these names to pop up. Any help is appreciated
Attachments
here is the drop down, when u open it thtere are no names showing
here is the drop down, when u open it thtere are no names showing
no names.JPG (72.09 KiB) Viewed 15127 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bridge Adpaters not showing any network names

Post by mpack »

That means that none of the available NICs has the bridged networking driver enabled in its driver stack.

Reinstall VirtualBox, this time make sure to allow installation of the Bridged Networking driver. Make sure you have rights to do so by using "Run as administrator" to run the installer.

Other drivers will also have been missed, e.g. the USB redirection driver, and the Host-Only network driver.
steezy

Re: Bridge Adapters not showing any network names

Post by steezy »

I’ve reinstalled many times and running as admin and I never saw this option. It’s always the same prompts as admin or not
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Are there any "Vbox*.sys" files in your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" folder?
steezy

Post by steezy »

scottgus1 wrote:Are there any "Vbox*.sys" files in your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" folder?
Yes, i have as follows, VBoxNetAdap6, VBoxNetLwf, VBoxSup, and VBoxUSBMon
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Good. Please check the host's network adapters' Properties, see if the Virtualbox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver is present and checked:

steezy

Post by steezy »

scottgus1 wrote:Good. Please check the host's network adapters' Properties, see if the Virtualbox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver is present and checked:
Virtualbox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver is not present on that list
steezy

Post by steezy »

I've already tried installing the driver through the properties window but i get an error: "Could not add the requested feature. The error is: Element not Found."
notfound.JPG
notfound.JPG (91.49 KiB) Viewed 15056 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please check the options page of the Virtualbox installer:
Virtualbox installer options.png
Virtualbox installer options.png (120.34 KiB) Viewed 14994 times
Are all your options showing the hard drive with the dropdown arrow, like the above picture?
steezy

Post by steezy »

scottgus1 wrote:Please check the options page of the Virtualbox installer:
Virtualbox installer options.png
Are all your options showing the hard drive with the dropdown arrow, like the above picture?
Away from pc at the moment but I remember it showing all of those just as yours does.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If they are, then something 3rd-party or in Windows on your PC is interfering in a way that Virtualbox does not normally suffer from. Maybe over-aggressive antivirus?

Try uninstalling Virtualbox, then running a Run As Admin install again from the command line with the following logging commands, this time disabling any realtime scanning by all security software, and doublecheck that the hard drive symbols look as above.

Make a new folder on your C drive to put the installer and the log it will make:
C:\VBinstall

Put the installer in the new folder. Open a Run-As-Admin command prompt. Drag-n-drop the installer on the Command Prompt window, then finish typing this in the command line:

"C:\VBinstall\VirtualBox-X.Y.Z-######-Win.exe"{space}--logging{space}--msi-log-file{space}"C:\VBinstall\textfile.txt"

So, as an example, for 6.1.36 it should've read:

"C:\VBinstall\VirtualBox-6.1.36-152435-Win.exe" --logging --msi-log-file "C:\VBinstall\msilog.txt"

If you don't get the NDIS Bridging driver in the adapter Properties, and Bridged doesn't show the adapters in "Names", please zip and post the log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
steezy

Post by steezy »

scottgus1 wrote:If they are, then something 3rd-party or in Windows on your PC is interfering in a way that Virtualbox does not normally suffer from. Maybe over-aggressive antivirus?

Try uninstalling Virtualbox, then running a Run As Admin install again from the command line with the following logging commands, this time disabling any realtime scanning by all security software, and doublecheck that the hard drive symbols look as above.

Make a new folder on your C drive to put the installer and the log it will make:
C:\VBinstall

Put the installer in the new folder. Open a Run-As-Admin command prompt. Drag-n-drop the installer on the Command Prompt window, then finish typing this in the command line:

"C:\VBinstall\VirtualBox-X.Y.Z-######-Win.exe"{space}--logging{space}--msi-log-file{space}"C:\VBinstall\textfile.txt"

So, as an example, for 6.1.36 it should've read:

"C:\VBinstall\VirtualBox-6.1.36-152435-Win.exe" --logging --msi-log-file "C:\VBinstall\msilog.txt"

If you don't get the NDIS Bridging driver in the adapter Properties, and Bridged doesn't show the adapters in "Names", please zip and post the log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Attachments
SteezLog.zip
(82.57 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
steezy

Post by steezy »

did not work, there is log file and showing the install screen matches yours
Attachments
cmdhd.JPG
cmdhd.JPG (77.96 KiB) Viewed 14937 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

MSI log file wrote:
InstallNetLwf: VBoxNetCfgWinNetLwfInstall failed, error = 0x80070490
The installation of the NDIS Bridging driver failed for some reason. Do you have any so-called security software installed?
steezy

Post by steezy »

fth0 wrote:
MSI log file wrote:
InstallNetLwf: VBoxNetCfgWinNetLwfInstall failed, error = 0x80070490
The installation of the NDIS Bridging driver failed for some reason. Do you have any so-called security software installed?
None that I know of and somehow I’m doing all this my main Ethernet adapter no longer works so I’ve had to buy 2 new usb adapters. But yeah no antivirus that I know of. I can try reinstalling with firewall off. Some games wouldn’t let me play online without it disabled so could be the culprit here