Rename a Host-Only Network?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MTricanico

Rename a Host-Only Network?

Post by MTricanico »

I want to know how can I change the name of the virtual adapter of the "Host-Only Networks"?
Attachments
Pu5v68YK9U.png
Pu5v68YK9U.png (13.33 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Last edited by scottgus1 on 29. Nov 2022, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hots-Only Network

Post by scottgus1 »

I do not see a way to change these names, at least on a Windows host. Virtualbox does not allow to control the name of the Host-Only adapter, and the name used in the Virtualbox dropdown is the "device name" made by Windows, not the "name" which you could change in the list of adapters in the Windows Networking.
MTricanico

Re: Hots-Only Network

Post by MTricanico »

scottgus1 wrote:I do not see a way to change these names, at least on a Windows host. Virtualbox does not allow controlling the name of the Host-Only adapter, and the name used in the Virtualbox dropdown is the "device name" made by Windows, not the "name" which you could change in the list of adapters in the Windows Networking.
Yes, you could do that, but it is not helping to know what virtual network it's talking about exactly. It is very tedious to associate the default name of network 1 to a particular environment X and the name of the network 2 to N, if we could change the name to a friendly name it could be a good improvement for VirtualBox.

Thanks for the answer!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Rename a Host-Only Network?

Post by BillG »

Perhaps it would be useful, but you missed the point that Scott made. They are not VirtualBox names! VirtualBox uses the names given to the interfaces by Windows. If you want to change them, you need to ask Microsoft, not us.
Bill
Ninad

Re: Rename a Host-Only Network?

Post by Ninad »

Hello there!

Thanks to the participants for the discussion. I had the same problem on Win 10 host. I found a solution here : TUTORIAL: How to change device names in Device Manager

-Ninad