Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
galitsyn

Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.4 release

Post by galitsyn »

You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 7.0.4 is a maintenance release.

Changelog is here.
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.4 release

Post by okcrum »

So far, so good here. Smooth installs on all OS for Guest Additions.

Host:
Ubuntu Studio 22.04.1 kernel 5.15.0-53-lowlatency

Guest (all current version/patchlevel):
Windows XP/32
Windows 7 Pro/32
Windows 10 Enterprise
Windows 11 Enterprise
Solaris 11.4
OpenIndiana 21.10

EDIT: 3D enabled on Windows except for Windows 7/32
Last edited by okcrum on 24. Nov 2022, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Katapult

Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.2 release

Post by Katapult »

Katapult wrote:Hello, I am a simple user of virtualbox and I would like to contribute to a bug that I have encountered since the clean installation on my Mac computer running under the Ventura system and VirtualBox version 7.0.2 With Ubuntu LTS 22.10.

I can't connect any USB device. I always get an error. I saw on the forum that in previous versions, you had to connect your device by selecting USB 1 mode, I tried, it doesn't work, not even in USB2, not even in USB3... I hope you You can try to correct this problem, because everything worked perfectly when I ran on the previous version of the operating system and with version 6 of the virtual box.

Same issue with the 7.0.4

Échec de la connexion du périphérique USB 0 USB DRIVE [0200] à la machine virtuelle TezosBaker.
Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {6ac83d89-6ee7-4e33-8ae6-b257b2e81be8}
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Post by okcrum »

The next Ubuntu LTS release is 24.04, not 22.10, which is an interim (six month) release. The last LTS release was 22.04. The 7.0.4 release notes do not mention support for 22.10.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

I like the new "GUI: Added a new menu item to the devices menu to optionally upgrade the guest additions." option as it saves allot of hassle (start command prompt in as admin or change to admin, then change to the guest CD, then run the command).

BTW It does not let you know that you need to restart the OS for the guest additions to be usable.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

I am running Debian 11.5 on my host with the VirtualBox repository specified in /etc/apt/sources.list as

Code: Select all

deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bullseye contrib
Currently I have VirtualBox 7.0.2 installed (via the repository)

I am not yet seeing 7.0.4 as being available in the repository after an apt-get update.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

The deb file is there, but it looks like the packages file has not been updated as it still has 7.02 in it.
xbuntugest

Post by xbuntugest »

AndyCot wrote:I like the new "GUI: Added a new menu item to the devices menu to optionally upgrade the guest additions." option as it saves allot of hassle (start command prompt in as admin or change to admin, then change to the guest CD, then run the command).

BTW It does not let you know that you need to restart the OS for the guest additions to be usable.
yes i was excited to see & use it but w/o confirmation i followed the insert image procedure anyway and saw that it was already done and was happy.

also my xubuntu 22.04 guest on intel (i5-8500) mac 12.6 host virtual machine now boots (& also boots on mac 13.0.1 host)

edit: also want to add, i don't know if this has been fixed, but installing the extension pack by double-click opening the document in the macos finder was giving me vb app crashes, and i didn't test that with 7.0.4, instead i used the vb app to locate & install the extension, which it liked better.
galitsyn

Post by galitsyn »

granada29 wrote:I am running Debian 11.5 on my host with the VirtualBox repository specified in /etc/apt/sources.list as

Code: Select all

deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bullseye contrib
Currently I have VirtualBox 7.0.2 installed (via the repository)

I am not yet seeing 7.0.4 as being available in the repository after an apt-get update.
Debian repository should be fixed. 7.0.4 is there now.
Liz389
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Vista, 2000

Post by Liz389 »

Graphics output in Windows 7 (and probably others) still is totally broken in VirtualBox 7.0.4 :cry: :roll:

Everything works perfectly fine in VirtualBox 6.1.40 with Guest Additions 6.1.40. After upgrade to VirtualBox 7.0.4 with Guest Additions 7.0.4 the VM becomes unusable: The graphics output looks "garbled" and flickers. That's right after Windows has started. But, even worse, as soon as the application is actually started (even "winver.exe"), the screen goes totally black! Only way to proceed is by resetting the VM. But the problem will just happen again...

After the downgrade to VirtualBox 6.1.40 with Guest Additions 6.1.40 everything is back to normal. This is with the exactly same VM, running on the exactly some host. So this definitely a very serious regression in Version 7.0.x :x

:!: Logs attached :!:

Please see here for more details, including detailed screenshots and in-depth system information:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107519
Attachments
...and after an application is started!
...and after an application is started!
virtualbox-7.0.4-broken-graphics-3.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 9947 times
Graphics broken in VirtualBox 7.0.4
Graphics broken in VirtualBox 7.0.4
virtualbox-7.0.4-broken-graphics-2.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 9947 times
virtualbox-7.0.4-error-log.zip
Error Log
(84.12 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
JKelly

Display Problems - What Now Works

Post by JKelly »

Problems in existing VMs

Win 11
Still cannot use 3D Acceleration, even if turn off transparency in Windows. Display is garbled or black text on black background (e.g. Notepad)
If turn off 3d Acceleration, works reasonably well. Though Win 11 is itself unstable.

Win 7 (32 or 64bit)
Whatever VM display driver is used (VBox 7.0.4, 7.0.2, or 6.1.40) if 3d Acceleration is turned on, many display glitches. If turn off 3d Acceleration, most programs work OK, but Windows 7 complains that DirectX does not work (example Microsoft Solitaire wont start. Cannot run OpenGL test programs, e.g. QTGears).

7.0.4 vs 7.0.2. New fixes Work - on AMD Hosts
Win 10 (32 and 64 bit) - works well, even with 3d Acceleration on
Win 8.1 (32 and 64 bit) - works well, even with 3 Acceleration on
Windows XP/XP Pro - no longer crashes at startup, (Version set to "Other Windows 32 bit"). Using old VBox display driver with 3d Acceleration on
Windows 2000 - no longer crashes at startup, (Version set to "Other Windows 32 bit"). Using old VBox display driver with 3d Acceleration on
Windows 98SE - no longer crashes at startup, (Version set to "Other Windows 32 bit") -
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

AndyCot wrote:The deb file is there, but it looks like the packages file has not been updated as it still has 7.02 in it.

It's now fixed as the https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... 4/Packages file now has the 7.04 release in it.
granada29
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

galitsyn wrote: Debian repository should be fixed. 7.0.4 is there now.
Thank you very much. Installed from the repository and it seems to be working well.
kajandata

Post by kajandata »

Wohoo! Surprise!
Today, i did notice - more or less by accident - that VBox 7.0.4 is available. And since i was lagging behind for more than 12 months (still on 5.0.22) for an extended period of time until i found out, that the show-stopper-bugs had been fixed in 6.1. a while ago, i did not want to repeat that experience! . Since i moved to 6,1, i felt great relief, as most of my problems were simply gone after the upgrade. :-)

Host: buster, many different guests

Ok, so today, i went on to test upgrading my VM's to 7.0 to see, if this would go well.
At first glance, the transition went well (i only did check with less than 10 machines, the most frequently used ones), and i saw some problems. The first ones, i am noticing, are : sometimes failure to restore screen real estate for a VM. (But since the OS in that VM is quite old, i will have to test once again after upgrading the guest. The same machine also has graphics issues (wrong colors, or all black window), so maybe the guest additions do not support such an old OS (debian-stretch)?

Next, i got hit by the changing interface. Up til now, i was using SOME VM's in a way to not shut them down at the end, but to turn them off (and restore to the most recent snapshot). I found it quite convenient, that the checkbox would default to the last choice here, allowing quick reset after some quick and dirty operations in a guest.
This option has COMPLETELY VANISHED. Now, one has to turn off the machine and later rollback to a snapshot manually (or by script), which i find to be quite annoying, as i was using this workflow quite a bit.

After those tests, i decided to restore all my machines to their state from before 7.0 and to stay there for a bit longer, not yet caring about the remaining machines and possible problems arising there.
Is there a reasoning behind taking away the option to shutdown+restore snap in one single step?
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

kajandata wrote:Is there a reasoning behind taking away the option to shutdown+restore snap in one single step?
For an explanation and an alternative to the checkbox, see the two posts of klaus in VM - Snapshot restore on power off (GUI/DiscardStateOnPowerOff).