1 to 1 copy of physical machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Datafish

1 to 1 copy of physical machine

Post by Datafish »

For purposes of running a very specific simulation that I am not at liberty to discuss, I need to produce a one to one virtual copy of a physical machine. In short, emulation of every possible aspect of the physical device via virtualization. I would greatly appreciate some assistance, any advice or tips on how to reach this goal with this specific program.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 1 to 1 copy of physical machine

Post by mpack »

That is not the purpose of VirtualBox. There are no facilites to emulate randomly selected hardware, that would be ridiculous.

The only way to emulate hardware is to buy the datasheets of chipsets present on each board and write code to emulate every important aspect. Assuming that VirtualBox doesn't already provide the necessary "hardware" then emulating a specific complete PC would be a huge and expensive undertaking, requiring a team of expert developers working for about a year, if you're lucky.

And, guest code will still be able to easily detect that it's running in a VM.
Datafish

Post by Datafish »

Thank you very much for that response. Vbox is clearly not up to the standards we were hoping for.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

More like not the program you needed, or not matching the specifications you want. Virtualbox very much meets the standards for which it is programmed, which is to simulate a PC that can be run on any supported host.