Hardware ID not found

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
brentv911

Hardware ID not found

Post by brentv911 »

I tried searching the forum and just couldn't really find the answer, so i figured i would ask. I have a piece of software from Motorola that managers radio batteries. The software was free but when i install it and try to activate it with the key they sent me. It says it can't find the Hardware ID. Is there something i need to change to allow the software to see the Hardware ID of the Virtual Machine? When i spoke with Motorola about this, it has come up before and in their documentation it states that i need a static hardware id on the virtual machine for the software to activate. I just don't know where / what to change to get this.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Hardware ID not found

Post by mpack »

brentv911 wrote:... and try to activate it with the key they sent me.
Are you referring to a dongle? A USB dongle?

If yes, are you sure you have it plugged in? And note that I don't mean plugged into the host, as that is a separate PC. I mean, is the dongle plugged into (captured by) the VM? See the USB panel in the VM settings to create an automatic redirection filter, or see the Devices menu of the running VM. Also note that USB is not a multidrop protocol, each connection has two endpoints only: meaning that if something on the host is using that dongle then no VM can use it, and vice versa.