Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.2 release

Post by scottgus1 »

notandor wrote:The network adapter isn't functional when restoring a saved vm. Can only ping it's own ipv4 address, nothing on the subnet. Adapter is a virtio bridged adpter.
Did this work correctly in 6.1? Does it work if the adapter is a normal card, not virtio?
notandor

Post by notandor »

Ah have to run as Administrraotrlongrootname. sry for that noise. But doesn't work, probably need a pause after the enable and before the route cmd's. pfff

Yes it worked correctly under 6.1. I'll try the 'normal' card: yes! the intel card survives a save/restore. So something to do with the virtio network card?
mjf

Post by mjf »

WindowsXP VM won't start

VirtualBox 7.0.2 can't start my rarely used WindowsXP VM. It shows a startup screen but then stops and reports 'Aborted'. No trouble with VirtualBox 6.1. Zipped log attached. Also see reports by other users in VirtualBox 7.0.2 won't run Windows XP VM.
Attachments
VBox.zip
Log of VirtualBox 7.0.2 trying to start WindowsXP VM
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@mjf: Does the abort still happen if you disable Hyper-v?
00:00:08.415836 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:08.489419 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:08.489443 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:08.489450 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:08.489535 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You can ask them on Internet Relay Chat (IRC) if you want.
ChristophS

Post by ChristophS »

Hello there,

as stated in a post some days ago, I have a Windows XP VM that ran perfectly for many years in VirtualBox 5.x, 6.x and 7.0.0, but now fails to start in VirtualBox 7.0.2.

When I downgrade to VirtualBox 7.0.0, the same XP VM will immediately start without any issues. The host system is Windows 10 x64. Please find attached the .zip archive including the files VBox.log and VBox.png.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Christoph
Attachments
Logs.zip
(111.68 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
mjf

Post by mjf »

@mpack: Thanks for the suggestion. But that doesn't seem to be an option for me as I'm using WSL2 and (sometimes) the Windows Sandbox. As far as I understand, those require at least some parts of Hyper-V, true?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mjf wrote:I'm using WSL2 and (sometimes) the Windows Sandbox. As far as I understand, those require at least some parts of Hyper-V, true?
Yes.
Liz389
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Vista, 2000

Post by Liz389 »

Liz389 wrote:VirtualBox 7.0(.2) totally breaks graphics output in Windows 7, Windows Vista and probably others

Everything works perfectly fine in VirtualBox 6.1.40 with Guest Additions 6.1.40. After upgrade to VirtualBox 7.0.2 with Guest Additions 7.0.2 the VM becomes unusable: The graphics output looks "garbled" and flickers. That's right after Windows has started. But, even worse, as soon as the application is actually started (even "winver.exe"), the screen goes totally black! Only way to proceed is by resetting the VM. But the problem will just happen again...

After the downgrade to VirtualBox 6.1.40 with Guest Additions 6.1.40 everything is back to normal. This is with the exactly same VM, running on the exactly some host. So this definitely a very serious regression in Version 7.0.x !!! :cry:

(I also tried VirtualBox 7.0.2 with Guest Additions 6.1.40, to see if it is only a bug in the new Guest Additions, but this combination does not work at all)

:!: Logs attached :!:

Please see here for more details, including detailed screenshots and in-depth system information:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107519

Here is a short video clip that better (hopefully) illustrates the issue:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/429blrz1 ... 1.mp4/file

(Note: I have re-posted the problem here, as was suggested by the moderator »scottgus1« in my other thread over at »Windows Guests« forum)
So, is anybody actually looking into this? Are any more information required? When can we expect this will be repaired to the working state :?: :?: :?:

Thx :wink:
ciamaulex
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 2016, Debian

Post by ciamaulex »

I have a Windows 11 guest that sometimes will freeze.

The guest is a Windows 11 22H2 Enterprise, freshly created in VirtualBox 7.0.2 with MS ISO October 22.
I use it mainly for VPN to remote systems, so there are a few VPN clients and their network filters.
Also, I don't boot it every day: many times I just save the VM state, and power on when needed.
Sometimes, the VM will just freeze: in that case, the VM Manager GUI is still working,
The only thing I can do is "Power off" an power on again.
My previous VMs with Windows XP and Windows 10 work great instead.

Attached, the VM log saved while the machine was frozen.
I hope you can help me.
Attachments
Win11VPN-2022-10-28-11-55-03.log
(92.6 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Liz389 wrote:is anybody actually looking into this? Are any more information required? When can we expect this will be repaired to the working state
I very strongly doubt that the devs have abandoned Virtualbox. It usually takes several minor version releases until a major version becomes stable enough.

If you want stable Virtualbox for important VMs that must stay running, stay on 6.1. If you want to provide data for helping get 7.0 going, keep trying 7.0.
eebssk1
Guest OSses: Debian 10

Post by eebssk1 »

Liz389 wrote:
Liz389 wrote:VirtualBox 7.0(.2) totally breaks graphics output in Windows 7, Windows Vista and probably others

Everything works perfectly fine in VirtualBox 6.1.40 with Guest Additions 6.1.40. After upgrade to VirtualBox 7.0.2 with Guest Additions 7.0.2 the VM becomes unusable: The graphics output looks "garbled" and flickers. That's right after Windows has started. But, even worse, as soon as the application is actually started (even "winver.exe"), the screen goes totally black! Only way to proceed is by resetting the VM. But the problem will just happen again...

After the downgrade to VirtualBox 6.1.40 with Guest Additions 6.1.40 everything is back to normal. This is with the exactly same VM, running on the exactly some host. So this definitely a very serious regression in Version 7.0.x !!! :cry:

(I also tried VirtualBox 7.0.2 with Guest Additions 6.1.40, to see if it is only a bug in the new Guest Additions, but this combination does not work at all)

:!: Logs attached :!:

Please see here for more details, including detailed screenshots and in-depth system information:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107519

Here is a short video clip that better (hopefully) illustrates the issue:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/429blrz1 ... 1.mp4/file

(Note: I have re-posted the problem here, as was suggested by the moderator »scottgus1« in my other thread over at »Windows Guests« forum)
So, is anybody actually looking into this? Are any more information required? When can we expect this will be repaired to the working state :?: :?: :?:

Thx :wink:
I personally think this is a big issue for branch 7.x.x in 3d acceleration required scenario since it makes the os (most)completely unusable.
On 6.x.x you can just disable transparent effect to fix the glitch which is not a big problem for most people.
MaxPF

Post by MaxPF »

mjf wrote:WindowsXP VM won't start

VirtualBox 7.0.2 can't start my rarely used WindowsXP VM. It shows a startup screen but then stops and reports 'Aborted'. No trouble with VirtualBox 6.1.
This isn't limited to Windows XP. It also happens with Windows 2000.

I'm running 7.0.2 on a Linux host (RHEL 9.0). I've had this Windows 2000 guest since v5.x.x, and most recently it ran perfectly fine on v6.1.40. I never ran v7.0.0, so I cannot say whether it would run on that. On 7.0.2 the virtual machine only gets past the very initial start (white bar at bottom scrolling from left to right, for anyone who remembers a WIn2K bootup sequence), and then freezes on a black screen. Normally, the screen goes blank momentarily and then the Windows 2000 splash screen comes up. It never gets to that point on 7.0.2.

Perhaps it is a problem with 32 bit guests?
IPGSupp

Post by IPGSupp »

ciamaulex wrote:I have a Windows 11 guest that sometimes will freeze.

The guest is a Windows 11 22H2 Enterprise, freshly created in VirtualBox 7.0.2 with MS ISO October 22.
I use it mainly for VPN to remote systems, so there are a few VPN clients and their network filters.
Also, I don't boot it every day: many times I just save the VM state, and power on when needed.
Sometimes, the VM will just freeze: in that case, the VM Manager GUI is still working,

I hope you can help me.
Do you have 3D acceleration turned on? With it turned on I get glitchy graphics, borderline unusable, but the VM stays up. With it turned off the VM will run for a variable time and then freeze like this ^

(Windows 11 22H2 host and guest, Nvidia graphics card)
ciamaulex
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 2016, Debian

Post by ciamaulex »

You saved my day! After enabling 3D acceleration, no more freezing.
And it's been just about perfect, just a couple glitches in MS Edge:
- main window remains totally blank a couple seconds during startup
- The default button on a webpage popup dialog was totally blank

Hope either the freezing or the 3D acceleration will be fixed in 7.0.4!

Thank you very much
IPGSupp wrote:
ciamaulex wrote:I have a Windows 11 guest that sometimes will freeze.

I hope you can help me.
Do you have 3D acceleration turned on? With it turned on I get glitchy graphics, borderline unusable, but the VM stays up. With it turned off the VM will run for a variable time and then freeze like this ^

(Windows 11 22H2 host and guest, Nvidia graphics card)