VirtualBox 7.0 Issues and Hopes

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kdaek

VirtualBox 7.0 Issues and Hopes

Post by kdaek »

I am a Korean, and this article was translated from Korean to English with a translator (Google Translate). I check and proofread whether the translation is similar to the reverse translation, but it may not be accurate.

Virtualbox 7.0 has been released.

Thank you for allowing us to install Windows 11 without modifying the registry.
After some use, it seems that the VM does not die when using 3D acceleration in an environment where both internal graphics and external graphics are used.
However, the 3D acceleration seems imperfect (regardless of how the host's GPU is used).
Some menus in the window appear transparent, and some screen UI rendering is broken (all observed when the guest is a window, not observed in Linux yet).

Also, when installing guest extensions in Windows guest, it was modified to be automatically installed without a separate installation UI, but after installation, the screen only flickers without any guidance, so it is not possible to check whether it has been applied until rebooting. After installation is complete
Now that the installation is complete, I would like to ask if you would like to reboot, just like the previous version.

And for Macs using M1 and M2, I think you made a version for ARM that is limited to Mac.. I hope that a version for Windows for ARM will come out later.
(Currently, ARM Windows is not well known, so the related hardware is only released as a tablet or laptop through some companies, and for ARM Windows, an official installation CD is not provided, but for later,
Of course, hardware manufacturers for Windows are not active with ARM, so product releases are minimal, so it seems they will not release VirtualBox for ARM Windows)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 7.0 Issues and Hopes

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0.0 is just a hint better than the beta releases and is expected to have a lot of bugs yet. Several even-number releases will go by before 7 is stable enough for regular use. Hosts that require stable Virtualbox should stay on 6.1 for now.

The M1/M2 ARM 7.0 version is not expected to work well, see the sticky in the Mac Hosts forum. A Windows ARM version of Virtualbox is probably much further in the future if at all.
Boxy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7,SUSE,MS-DOS

Re: VirtualBox 7.0 Issues and Hopes

Post by Boxy »

kdaek wrote:However, the 3D acceleration seems imperfect (regardless of how the host's GPU is used).
I can confirm. Windows 7 Guest gets dwm.exe crashes and black screen with trembling mousepointer.
As I don't need 3D acceleration for this VM, I switched it off and Win 7 Guest worked normally.