Discuss the VirtualBox 6.1.40 release here

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
galitsyn

Discuss the VirtualBox 6.1.40 release here

Post by galitsyn »

You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 6.1.40 is a maintenance release.

Changelog is here.
Thomas_B

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 6.1.40 release here

Post by Thomas_B »

installing guest extensions .40 crashes my win 10 guest with a black screen.
the .38 guest extension works fine with current release
MacPaKKo

Post by MacPaKKo »

installing guest extensions .40 on win XP doesn't works. It fails in a loop. Had to terminate installation.
Mouse pointer works badly, with certain app the drag isn't recognized.
I'm using this winXP VM from long time across many VB versions, never had this problems installing extesions or using mouse.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

MacPaKKo wrote:installing guest extensions .40 on win XP doesn't works. It fails in a loop.
Does it work if you uninstall the old GAs first? Back up the VM folder before you try it.
Cutterkin

Post by Cutterkin »

MacPaKKo wrote:installing guest extensions .40 on win XP doesn't works. It fails in a loop. Had to terminate installation.
Mouse pointer works badly, with certain app the drag isn't recognized.
I'm using this winXP VM from long time across many VB versions, never had this problems installing extesions or using mouse.
Concur - mouse drag is borked in all of my VM's (XP, Win7, Win 10). Just doesn't work in some apps (File Explorer, others) but still works in some. Tried extensions versions 36 to 40.
cheekybuddha
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by cheekybuddha »

Hello,

I'm also experiencing mouse issues in Windows 10 guest (Ubuntu 20.04 host)

I also have a Debian 11 guest that works fine

How do I downgrade just the guest additions for just the Windows guest? They are normally bundled with the version of virtualbox (via apt: deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian focal contrib)

I don't really want to have to downgrade my whole virtualbox installation to 6.1.38.

Where can I just get the guest additions for that version? I looked here but can only find a complete .deb

Do I have to extract the Guest Additions from the deb? If so, are they the same iso for all OS'es?

TIA for any guidance,

d
cheekybuddha

Post by cheekybuddha »

I extracted the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from the virtualbox-6.1_6.1.38-153438_Ubuntu_focal_amd64.deb, and installed those in my Win10 guest.

However, the mouse issue remains. It's as if the hover/drag location of the cursor is off (to the left) even though the click location is correct.

Very frustrating! :(
cheekybuddha

Post by cheekybuddha »

Tried upgrading to 7.0 to see if that made any difference, but the Win10 guest still suffered from the cursor hover offset issue.

In the end I reverted to Virtualbox 6.1.38 - everything back to normal. :roll:

Thank goodness for ZFS rollback!
javispedro
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Old & New Windows, Linux

Post by javispedro »

There was definitely some patch/merge issue when backporting the mouse fixes from 7.0.0 into 6.1.40.
Under 6.1.40 (right side) there is an extra remnant call to i_reportRelEventToMouseDev, which means it ends up being called twice per mouse event no matter what, but this was not the intention of the 7.0.0 fix.
I don't know if this can cause additional mouse problems. I have not tested either 6.1.40 or 7.x myself yet though.

Code: Select all

diff -y VirtualBox-7.0.0/src/VBox/Main/src-client/MouseImpl.cpp VirtualBox-6.1.40/src/VBox/Main/src-client/MouseImpl.cpp
HRESULT Mouse::i_reportAbsEventToInputDevices(int32_t x, int32_t y, in          HRESULT Mouse::i_reportAbsEventToInputDevices(int32_t x, int32_t y, in
                                              bool fUsesVMMDevEvent)                                                          bool fUsesVMMDevEvent)
{                                                                               {
    if (i_vmmdevCanAbs())                                                           if (i_vmmdevCanAbs())
    {                                                                               {
        /*                                                                              /*
         * Send the absolute mouse position to the VMM device.                           * Send the absolute mouse position to the VMM device.
         */                                                                              */
        if (x != mcLastX || y != mcLastY)                                               if (x != mcLastX || y != mcLastY)
            hrc = i_reportAbsEventToVMMDev(x, y);                         |                 rc = i_reportAbsEventToVMMDev(x, y);
            cJiggle = !fUsesVMMDevEvent;                                                    cJiggle = !fUsesVMMDevEvent;
        }                                                                               }
                                                                          >             rc = i_reportRelEventToMouseDev(cJiggle, 0, dz, dw, fButtons);

if (!i_deviceCanAbs())                                                          if (!i_deviceCanAbs())
            hrc = i_reportRelEventToMouseDev(cJiggle, 0, dz, dw, fButt    |                 rc = i_reportRelEventToMouseDev(cJiggle, 0, dz, dw, fButto
        else                                                                            else
            hrc = i_reportAbsEventToMouseDev(x, y, dz, dw, fButtons);     |                 rc = i_reportAbsEventToMouseDev(x, y, dz, dw, fButtons);
    }                                                                               }
    else                                                                            else
        hrc = i_reportAbsEventToMouseDev(x, y, dz, dw, fButtons);         |             rc = i_reportAbsEventToMouseDev(x, y, dz, dw, fButtons);

mcLastX = x;                                                                    mcLastX = x;
    mcLastY = y;                                                                    mcLastY = y;
    return hrc;                                                           |         return rc;

KevinShumaker

Post by KevinShumaker »

Just updated to 6.1.40 from 6.1.38
Host is Debian 11 64bit
Unable to get VBoxWebSVR service to start. Have reset the file /etc/default/virtualbox with correct VBOXWEB_USER & VBOXWEB_PASSWD but nothing opens on the port, and I am unsure where to check in the logs for issues. In the past, all it took was to upgrade the extpack and reboot, but it's not working here.
What logs would I need to look at to see what is preventing it from starting up?
Leks

Post by Leks »

Need help.

Fatal Error when installation VB 6.1.40
missing

unwgbchn.msi
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

An MSI file is a script used by the standard Windows install function (MicroSoft Installer).

I don't recognize the MSI name given. It looks like an unrelated un-installer.
ViperAB

Post by ViperAB »

Hello,
After update my mouse scroll twice in guest Windows when I just roll "one tick" with the mouse wheel . Do anybody have the same bug?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Several people have reported mouse problems which go away if you choose the PS/2 mouse in VM settings instead of "USB tablet".
ViperAB

Post by ViperAB »

I had more problems with mouse but I changed the "USB tablet" to "PS/2" before first post. That helped except for the twice scroll of the wheel.