Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Vpupkin-3

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.0 release

Post by Vpupkin-3 »

1) "Send shutdown signal" aka ACPI shutdown on close VM didn't work for Win 10 21H2 guest (Win10 21H2 Host). Guest didn't react on this.

2) Screen capture return black or transparent when the Vbox video driver installed into Win 10 21H2 guest. On driver removal screen capture works fine. Ticket #21134
Last edited by Vpupkin-3 on 13. Oct 2022, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Vpupkin-3 wrote:1) "Send shutdown signal" aka ACPI shutdown .... Guest didn't react on this.
Has the OS been told to react to a power-button push by doing something? The OS has to be set to respond. Was this working for this VM under 6.1.x?
Vpupkin-3

Post by Vpupkin-3 »

scottgus1 wrote:Has the OS been told to react to a power-button push by doing something? The OS has to be set to respond. Was this working for this VM under 6.1.x?
Sorry, false alarm. Power-button push wasn't set. But previousy it worked fine.
mWaltari

Post by mWaltari »

Win11 guest will freeze on Win11 22H2 host on boot
Attachments
2022-10-14_06h38_26.png
2022-10-14_06h38_26.png (32.98 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Mario TT

VirtualBox 7.0.0 clipboard

Post by Mario TT »

Mod edit: originally posted in "Windows Guests".

Hello.

I just upgraded to VirtualBox 7.0.0 and verified that I have a problem with the clipboard. I installed Quest Additions 7.0.0 and I have the clipboard enabled bidirectionally, yet if I try to copy a long text the copy-paste does not work. I have checked that this happens with text longer than 2048 characters (if it has less characters the copy-paste works correctly). Does anyone have the same problem or do you know if this is a more general problem?
I have reinstalled Guest Additions and have not been able to get the clipboard to work properly. Any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks in advance to everyone.
tonny
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by tonny »

I also have the copy clipboard issue.
The issue only manifests if trying to copy long text from host to guest. Copying long text from guest to host works fine.
Short text works fine in both directions.

Host is Windows 10 21H2, guest is Windows 7.
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Post by stephanecharette »

I cannot install the extension pack 7.0.0 on my Ubuntu 20.04.5 host. Whenever I try, I get:

"Oracle VM VirtualBox" is not responding.
You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely.

I use disk encryption so without the extension pack I cannot boot any of my VMs. At this point, 7.0.0 is unusable for me unless someone knows the trick to get the extension pack installed.
Antonovichie

Ubuntu 22.04 on Ubuntu 22.04 network

Post by Antonovichie »

I upgraded both the host and guest additions from 6.1.40. The guest runs a wireguard vpn with all external traffic routed through it. Previously the guest network would work for weeks with no issues, and now I have to reboot the guest every few hours, or the network simply stops working. The VPN doesn't appear to be directly related - if I turn it off the network is still borked. It might be a complicated suite of events that causes it though...
treysis

Post by treysis »

What happened to the design of the Windows GUI? It looks like Windows 98? (except for the animation when hovering your list of different machines - which is annoying btw). Otherwise, looks great so far. Haven't seen any issue (aside from ones that were present in 6.x)
adrian_vg

Re: VirtualBox 7.0.0 clipboard

Post by adrian_vg »

Mario TT wrote:Mod edit: originally posted in "Windows Guests".

Hello.

I just upgraded to VirtualBox 7.0.0 and verified that I have a problem with the clipboard. I installed Quest Additions 7.0.0 and I have the clipboard enabled bidirectionally, yet if I try to copy a long text the copy-paste does not work. I have checked that this happens with text longer than 2048 characters (if it has less characters the copy-paste works correctly). Does anyone have the same problem or do you know if this is a more general problem?
I have reinstalled Guest Additions and have not been able to get the clipboard to work properly. Any ideas what might be happening?

Just installed Virtualbox 7.0 and ran into the clipboard issue, again.
Bidirectional is enabled on the vm.
Extentions is installed.

Virtualbox is running on a Kubuntu Desktop 22.04 and the vm is running Ubuntu Server 22.04 with no GUI, just the CLI/terminal.
Can't copy anything to or from the vm terminal, long or short texts.

I've had this issue for years, ever since Virtualbox 6 was released IIRC.

How can this still be an issue so many years on?
Not trying to diss a free software that is also a very good one, but copy and paste is kind of a crucial feature in any IT environment.
galitsyn

Post by galitsyn »

Hello.

Hi Mario TT,

Please note there was a ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21149. A fix for this issue will be available with the next release.
galitsyn

Post by galitsyn »

adrian_vg wrote:

Hello.

Just installed Virtualbox 7.0 and ran into the clipboard issue, again.
Bidirectional is enabled on the vm.
Extentions is installed.

Virtualbox is running on a Kubuntu Desktop 22.04 and the vm is running Ubuntu Server 22.04 with no GUI, just the CLI/terminal.
Can't copy anything to or from the vm terminal, long or short texts.

I've had this issue for years, ever since Virtualbox 6 was released IIRC.

How can this still be an issue so many years on?
Not trying to diss a free software that is also a very good one, but copy and paste is kind of a crucial feature in any IT environment.
Hi adrian_vg,

Can it be a case if host or guest is running in Wayland environment? Pure Wayland is not yet supported (only guest screen resize can work with some compositors). Clipboard sharing in XWayland or X11 should work though.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

ant wrote:Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.
Please open a Command Prompt with normal user privileges, start the VM using the following command(s) and provide the results:

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VirtualBoxVM --startvm "VM name"
galitsyn

Post by galitsyn »

stephanecharette wrote:I cannot install the extension pack 7.0.0 on my Ubuntu 20.04.5 host. Whenever I try, I get:

"Oracle VM VirtualBox" is not responding.
You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the application to quit entirely.

I use disk encryption so without the extension pack I cannot boot any of my VMs. At this point, 7.0.0 is unusable for me unless someone knows the trick to get the extension pack installed.
Hi stephanecharette,

This issue should be fixed in the next release.
galitsyn

Re: VirtualBox 7: Unable to connect to system D-Bus

Post by galitsyn »

c0000007 wrote:Hi,

After upgrade guest addon from version 6.1.38 to 7.0.0 the following errors start to appear:

Code: Select all

sudo dmesg | grep -i error
[   12.652420] 03:20:38.409119 vminfo   Error: Unable to connect to system D-Bus (1/3): D-Bus not installed
[   17.659991] 03:20:43.416822 vminfo   Error: Unable to connect to system D-Bus (2/3): D-Bus not installed
[   22.779770] 03:20:48.535811 vminfo   Error: Unable to connect to system D-Bus (3/3): D-Bus not installed
Currently, dbus v1.10.24 is installed and used by many system components. This error does not appear with 6.1.38, is it because 7.0.0 has a dependency on higher dbus version? Can we safely ignore this error?

Thanks.
Hi c0000007,

These messages are from VBoxService daemon. It tries to load libdbus-1.so.3 library and cannot find it. Under which name libdbus*.so* is installed in the system? Which Linux distribution are you using?