Running VirtualBox as Admin does not work

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
avgVBUser

Running VirtualBox as Admin does not work

Post by avgVBUser »

Hi,

In the beginning when I've first installed VirtualBox, I've been getting an error with starting up the OS and editing settings. When I start the OS it would just crash and give this error code: 0x80004005 and when editing the settings of the OS I would get the same error code, however, it would provide more information by telling me that access was denied. So, I naturally ran it as admin and everything seems to work fine and made sure that the compatibility settings were set for the application to always run as admin. However, now even when I run as admin I'm still getting the same error code and same access denied issue which makes no sense. I'm currently on Windows 11 and I have also attempted to search for solutions and found that entering "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" in a cmd (ran as admin) should work, but it didn't. I was also told that discarding the previous save state would help but I do not save the previous state so that option is greyed out (disabled) for me. I've even tried to re-install VB and still no luck. I'm 100% sure the issue has to do with admin privileges and running it as admin apparently is not enough. How do I fix this?

Please and thank you
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Running VirtualBox as Admin does not work

Post by BillG »

Why would you run VirtualBox as admin? You need admin privilege to install VirtualBox, but the norm is to install VirtualBox from a user account with admin privilege (using the Run as Admin istrator option), then run VirtualBox as a normal user. You need your VirtualBox files to be in your user account, not the admin account.

If your problem is the Windows hypervisor, running the bcdedit command is not enough to solve the problem. That simply resets a switch to tell the boot loader not to load the hypervisor next time it boots. In any case, that will only help if that is what is actually causing your problem.

I would start again. Uninstall VirtualBox, then reinstall if from you user account using the Run as Administrator option and see how you go.
Bill