PC-Image from Disk2VHD does not try to boot

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
HeinzHB

PC-Image from Disk2VHD does not try to boot

Post by HeinzHB »

Hello there.

I made a VHD-Image from an old physical XP-machine that I want to preserve.
The vhd was created using disk2vhd without error an can be started in Vmware-player straight away.
So I think the vhd-file is OK.

When I create a maschine with virtual box and then try to start it, I only see a blinking underscore in a black screen.
It seems virtualbox doesn't even attempt to boot from the vhd... but why? The VHD seems present and accessible in machine settings.

The only error I see in the logs is..
logs wrote: ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={4680b2de-8690-11e9-b83d-5719e53cf1de} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-37
But I'm not sure if this is my problem and how to fix it.
Has anyone got an idea?

I attached a screenshots and logs (see post post)
* Please note that the screenshot from the XP-disk-management is from the vhd bootet in Vmware.
* Since I'm off-site from the actual physical machine from which the vhd has been generated.

Best regards, heinz
Attachments
Disk2VHDSettings.png
Disk2VHDSettings.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
WinXP-DiskManagement.png
WinXP-DiskManagement.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
MachineSettingsAndStart.png
MachineSettingsAndStart.png (61.66 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
HeinzHB

Re: PC-Image from Disk2VHD does not try to boot

Post by HeinzHB »

Here are the Logs.
Attachments
VBox_Log.zip
(120.12 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Try toggling I/O APIC.

XP is not plug and play regarding the motherboard features. The VM recipe needs to match what the XP image expects.

Also I hope you read the old XP migration FAQ. You can ignore the recommendations on imaging, Disk2VHD is usually fine provided it was a whole disk image. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows.

Also, VHD is a bug ridden turdpile. You should convert the image to VDI before you go much further. CloneVDI makes a quick and easy job of that.
HeinzHB

Post by HeinzHB »

mpack wrote:Try toggling I/O APIC.
That was the magic setting. The machine VM bootet right up!!
After reading the FAQ I'm not quite sure what a "IO Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controllers" is but it seems very low hardware level.
I'll read up upon that a little...

Thank you very much.
mpack wrote: XP is not plug and play regarding the motherboard features. The VM recipe needs to match what the XP image expects.
I've had very good luck with that so far cloning other XP-machines before. But it is my first ride with virtualbox.
mpack wrote: Also I hope you read the old XP migration FAQ. You can ignore the recommendations on imaging, Disk2VHD is usually fine provided it was a whole disk image. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows.
Nah, like the average idiot, I just followed a few guide on the internet.... I can only blame myself for that.
mpack wrote: Also, VHD is a bug ridden turdpile. You should convert the image to VDI before you go much further. CloneVDI makes a quick and easy job of that.
That sound like a good tip. Thanks.

-
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The I/O APIC is the more modern equivalent of the 8259 interrupt controller which was used in the original IBM PC. The 8259 was limited to 8 interrupt sources, so a PC (from the AT onwards) typically chained 2 together to get 15 interrupts. I don't actually know how many interrupts sources you can have with an I/O APIC (edit: apparantly it's 24), but basically the problem went away in a modern PC - especially after many devices were moved to a shared bus e.g. USB.

There is no correct setting for I/O APIC, but as mentioned XP is not fully plug and play so you can't change that setting after XP is installed.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

HeinzHB wrote:I'll read up upon that a little...
I can recommend the English language Wikipedia page Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (the German language variant has much less information).