Changed the screen resolution to higher.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Megamario

Changed the screen resolution to higher.

Post by Megamario »

Hello,
Is it possible to virtually change the screen resolution.
The screen of my PC is in Full HD, but I develop applications and the PCs of the users do not necessarily have the same resolution.

After installing the extension drivers. I can go up to full HD and lower, but I can't go beyond that.
I would therefore like to be able to test on a screen to simulate 2K or 4K in order to see the behavior of my application in these resolutions, sometimes we have not pleasant surprises and for manage this when we do not have the material available it's difficult.

Thank
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Changed the screen resolution to higher.

Post by mpack »

First, terminology. Resolution is a measure of the number of physical pixels per inch or per cm. It is normally dictated by your monitor and it's physical size, not by the software that you run.

In VirtualBox you can control the display size, i.e. the size of your VM window. A VirtualBox VM also has a convenient menu option: View|Virtual screen n|Resize to www x hhh to choose a new size (you have to install the Guest Additions for this to work). The same menu also includes a Scale to 200% option which effectively halves the resolution. For example you can choose a fullhd display size (1920x1080), and then scale it by 200% so that the window now fits nicely on a 4K monitor. This is intended for older guests that aren't designed for 4K monitors, but it should nicely solve your problem too.