updated VM VirtualBox now its looping back to enter password: after entering

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Shez1

updated VM VirtualBox now its looping back to enter password: after entering

Post by Shez1 »

Hi,
I updated my Virtualbox to version 6.1.32, when I now try to enter my password the system changes to a black screen, then loops back around to ask me to enter my password again. When I enter the incorrect password, it tells me my password is incorrect. I then reverted to a previous version but still no success

I would be grateful for any help that you can offer, I only ask you one thing... please explain to me like I'm a 5 year old. I'm very new in this coding journey and will get lost in the jargon, I will get there with it one day, but today is not that day :cry:
Attachments
Xubuntu-2022-08-27-12-46-27.zip
(100.34 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: updated VM VirtualBox now its looping back to enter password: after entering

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows the VM 'hardware' running correctly. The screen toggles back and forth between 800x600 and 1920x975 several times, but no indication that I can see why.

Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This Ubuntu glitch happens in real PCs too. The fact that you also upgraded Virtualbox around the same time may be only a coincidence.

You could try increasing the VM's video RAM slider to the max 128MB, see the VM's Display settings.

To solve the possible no-disk-space problem, log onto the VM OS text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. I regret that I don't know how to do this myself, so I can't explain it. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. Also see How to Resize a Drive
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: updated VM VirtualBox now its looping back to enter password: after entering

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:log onto the VM OS text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. I regret that I don't know how to do this myself, so I can't explain it.
I can explain the first step:

Many Linux distributions automatically create multiple consoles, and you can switch between them at any time. Use Crtl-Alt-F1 to switch to the first text console, Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to the second text console 2 and Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to the first graphical console. The number of text and graphical consoles can be different for different Linux distributions.
Shez1

Post by Shez1 »

Thanks Guys,

I've tried logging in with the same username and password along with any other name I can think of on ctrl atl f1/f2/f6. and am being told Login incorrect
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Have you tried to reset the user password? If not, see https://www.makeuseof.com/reset-forgott ... -password/
Shez1

Post by Shez1 »

Thank you for your kindness and patience everyone.

literally just fixed it. I think I had 2 versions of Ubuntu installed, 20.04 and 22.04 (partially after the update I think the update removed some kernals also according to what i was seeing when i was booting up). I managed to fix the Kernals that were missing with repair broken packages on ubuntu 20.04 in its safe made re (22.04 wouldn't let me fix anything.) Then used went back in with gparted live to extend the space I reallocated on the drive...

its been almost a week, but I fixed it!!

(sorry for the non tech speak, I'm still learning.)

Anyone know how to remove the version of Ubuntu that I don't need now??