I can not install the lastest version

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
steve-47

I can not install the lastest version

Post by steve-47 »

I get an error asking for nkgkiall44pfyvyxfkjh6mfw.msi
It has to uninstall before installing the latest version.

HELP PLEASE!!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I can not install the lastest version

Post by scottgus1 »

steve-47 wrote:nkgkiall44pfyvyxfkjh6mfw.msi
That's not a Virtualbox msi file. VirtualBox's msi files are named after the Virtualbox installer exe file. Your host computer seems really screwed up.
Edit: the name of the file is from Virtualbox, apparently, please see fth0's comments below

Download the Windows Virtualbox version exe from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds. Make sure you get the same version as the msi error message asks for, and hope to heaven the version doesn't end in an odd number...
Make a temporary folder on you computer to hold the extracted files, like C:\VBOXMSI.
in a regular command prompt window, drag the downloaded exe file. The full path and file name of the exe will appear at the command prompt.
Type {space}--extract{space}--path{space}
Drag the temporary folder you made on the command window. The path and name of the folder will appear in the command window.
The command will look like this:

Code: Select all

drive:\path\to\VirtualBox-[versionnumber]-Win.exe --extract --path c:\VBOXMSI
The MSI will be in that temporary folder.

Note there's one annoying glitch with the MSI installer. A message box which does not have an accompanying icon in the taskbar will display the results of the last command. If you leave this message box open, further runs of commands with the .exe file will not do anything. You will have to find the message box and close it. And if you minimize all the windows with the Desktop Peek tool you may not be able to find it to close it.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I don't know any details (yet), but I have a feeling that this issue will turn out to have a similar (if not the same) cause as Can't install VirtualBox on Windows 11. The commonality is a 24 character long temporary file or directory name consisting of random characters, which VirtualBox creates under certain conditions (still unknown to me).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

After looking at a typical successful installation procedure, I can explain the file and folder names with the random characters:

When the VirtualBox Windows Installer (e.g. VirtualBox-6.1.36-152435-Win.exe) is being run by a double-click, it creates a folder inside the user's temp folder (e.g. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp) with a name consisting of 24 random characters, and extracts the MSI file into that folder using a name consisting of 24 random characters and a ".msi" extension.

To analyze VirtualBox Windows Installer issues, please enable logging with the following simple method: Download the VirtualBox Windows Installer (e.g. VirtualBox-6.1.36-152435-Win.exe), open a Command Prompt with normal user privileges, navigate to the downloads folder and run the installation with the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
VirtualBox-6.1.36-152435-Win.exe --logging --msi-log-file VBoxInstallLog.txt
steve-47

Post by steve-47 »

Well I have tried all that and I have got nowhere. I have tried uninstalling Oracle VM VirtualBox from my hard drive - editing my Registry - and nothing works
I there a program that will removes Oracle VM VirtualBox completely?
I do not understand why this is so hard to do.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
steve-47

Need to uninstall Oracle VM VirtualBox

Post by steve-47 »

I need to Need to uninstall Oracle VM VirtualBox completely with no trace left.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Merged to your previous topic on the subject.

Another couple of topics have arisen on this subject; it appears we have a new nuance taking place.

If you extract the appropriate version's MSI as instructed above, then rename the MSI file to the random character name requested by the uninstall error message, and place the renamed MSI in the error message's requested folder, then the file will be findable and the uninstall can continue.
steve-47

Post by steve-47 »

I did

Make a temporary folder on you computer to hold the extracted files, like C:\VBOXMSI.
in a regular command prompt window, drag the downloaded exe file. The full path and file name of the exe will appear at the command prompt.
Type {space}--extract{space}--path{space}
Drag the temporary folder you made on the command window. The path and name of the folder will appear in the command window.
The command will look like this:
CODE: SELECT ALL EXPAND VIEW
drive:\path\to\VirtualBox-[versionnumber]-Win.exe --extract --path c:\VBOXMSI

The MSI will be in that temporary folder.

IT WAS NOT THERE

I do not see why I can not just uninstall Oracle VM VirtualBox completely and reinstall
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You can't uninstall because the host OS has a problem. Uninstalling and installing goes through the Windows MSI installer system. Thus it is actually Microsoft and Windows controlling the MSI install, not Virtualbox.

The Virtualbox installer is really a Microsoft program that carries the MSI payload. So if Microsoft is complaining about not being able to find the MSI, it is because Microsoft has lost it, not Virtualbox. This happens a lot on Windows PCs, to lots of installers from many apps.

I just followed my posted instructions using the 6.1.36 download, and they worked perfectly. Try rebooting the host. Also, just in case, note that {space} means one tap on the spacebar, not the characters "{space}".

Please copy and paste the exact command line you're using here so we can doublecheck.
steve-47

Post by steve-47 »

I Downloaded the VirtualBox-6.1.34-150636-Win.exe file which I want to upgrade from and did what you said and get an error.
how can I post the picture of the error?
Last edited by steve-47 on 5. Aug 2022, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
steve-47

Post by steve-47 »

I did get an msi file but the message said it was not a valid install file.

SO I AM STUCK
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
steve-47 wrote:I did get an msi file
Good!
steve-47 wrote:but the message said it was not a valid install file.
What message? From where?
scottgus1 wrote:Please copy and paste the exact command line you're using here so we can doublecheck.
And also, please say exactly what you are doing with the resulting msi file.
steve-47

Post by steve-47 »

I tried to install it getting that error
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you're trying to run the msi file that's not what you're supposed to do.
scottgus1 wrote:extract the appropriate version's MSI as instructed above, then rename the MSI file to the random character name requested by the uninstall error message, and place the renamed MSI in the error message's requested folder, then the file will be findable and the uninstall can continue.
steve-47

Post by steve-47 »

I did the extraction and then renamed it. I then ran the new installation and when it asked for that file I went to it. It still says the file is not valid.

So I am still stuck