[Solved] How can the BIOS release date be changed for a VirtualBox VM?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] How can the BIOS release date be changed for a VirtualBox VM?

Post by mpack »

Obviously, you would have to rewrite the BIOS to conform to different version of the spec.

p.s. Please stop quoting the entirety of a previous post - it create a lot of unnecessary repetition. Quotes should be used selectively, to highlight what particular points you are referring to. See how others use the feature.
jefazo92

Post by jefazo92 »

Thanks for the answer, I'll also be more selective when quoting. There's one thing more I'd like to know about DMI which I haven't been able to find on Google. I already changed the BIOS version and when I run

Code: Select all

wmic bios get SMBIOSBIOSVersion
it gives me the BIOS version I modified from the host terminal, however, if I run

Code: Select all

wmic bios get version
, it returns me VBOX -1. i've tried to find documentation for wmic bios (not just wmic) but haven't found anything. Therefore, what's the difference between SMBIOBIOSVersion and Version and how may I modify the version so it says something different from VBOX -1?
Attachments
BIOS_version.png
BIOS_version.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

jefazo92 wrote:And according to the VirtualBox User Manual if you run the command you run above in the host and then check the SMBIOS version with msinfo32 or wmic with cmd in the Windows VM you should see the newly changed SMBIOS version which for me is not happening.
This statement is simply wrong. I've read 9.9. Configuring the BIOS DMI Information again, trying to find out what could be possibly misunderstood, and found the ubiquitous term "DMI BIOS information":

"DMI" is the predecessor of "SMBIOS", and this chapter of the VirtualBox User Manual talks about the "BIOS information" located in the DMI/SMBIOS structures/tables. In other words, you must read it as "DMI (BIOS information)" and not as "(DMI BIOS) information". Nowhere does this chapter talk about the "SMBIOS version" or "DMI version". Especially, the "DmiBIOSVersion" is the "BIOS version" and not the "DMI version" or "SMBIOS version".

jefazo92 wrote:Now I only want to know [...] how may I then change the SMBIOS version.
fth0 wrote:AFAICS, VirtualBox only creates SMBIOS 2.5 tables, and you'd have to adapt the VirtualBox source code and build VirtualBox yourself to change that.

jefazo92 wrote:i've tried to find documentation for wmic bios (not just wmic) but haven't found anything.
A good trick is to use rare search strings: Googling "smbiosbiosversion site:docs.microsoft.com" leads to Win32_BIOS class.