How can I run arm64 distro on a amd64 host OS?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sntshk

How can I run arm64 distro on a amd64 host OS?

Post by sntshk »

My host OS is Ubuntu. I didn't post this in Linux forum because this might be OS agnostic.

I want to run Kali Linux arm64 version. My system is amd64.

When I try to start the VM with arm64 iso in the VM storage, I get:

Code: Select all

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.
Have any of you done this before? Is it possible? Can architecture be virtualized?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How can I run arm64 distro on a amd64 host OS?

Post by scottgus1 »

That error message means no bootable OS could be found. It could mean there is something wrong with the ISO, or there's something wrong with the VM.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

It is not possible to run an arm64 System on x86 VBox!
It doesn't matter, which settings you choose in VBox!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I suspect that Scott read this as "amd64 distro on amd64 host". If Scott is correct then his post is correct, otherwise yours is!

For clarity: VirtualBox is a hypervisor, not a simulator. If the code won't ordinarily run on the host PC then it won't run in a VM either.
sntshk

Post by sntshk »

scottgus1 wrote: Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
I have attached the requested files.
Attachments
Kali Linux arm-2022-07-07-18-22-38.zip
log file
(29.19 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Kali Linux arm.zip
.vbox file
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please note the posts after Scott's. We no longer need log files as the question is already answered.