Increased my virtual box's linux base memory, and now I cannot login.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Edward22

Increased my virtual box's linux base memory, and now I cannot login.

Post by Edward22 »

I think I done something dumb. I decided to double my virtual box's kali linux v6.1 base memory (RAM) from 2048mb to 4622mb (shouldn't done this. Should had read a guide first.), because I ran out of memory to download software into my machine. However, after I restart the machine, and fill in my username & password, for some terrible reason, the machine just turn "blink", and the page "reload?" back to my login page, without anything being fill.

I know its not wrong password, because I purposefully try that, and it give the right response stating "password incorrect".

This is very bad. Returning back to 2048mb did not solve it. And I only have last latest 3 days old snapshot. Before I try and ruined my days works, some helps would be nice. Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Increased my virtual box's linux base memory, and now I cannot login.

Post by mpack »

It sounds like you confused RAM with disk space. Lack of RAM does not limit the size of downloads. Lack of disk space will.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:Lack of RAM does not limit the size of downloads.
FWIW, there is a real life situation where it does:

If you use a VM to run Kali Linux from a Live ISO without providing a virtual hard disk, the file system (read-only + writable overlay) uses the base memory for the overlay, and downloads indeed occupy the RAM. This is common for casual users of Kali Linux.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

mpack wrote:It sounds like you confused RAM with disk space. Lack of RAM does not limit the size of downloads. Lack of disk space will.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Appreciate your help mpack. Here is the zip file you'd requested. I did not include all the log info because its long.
Attachments
MyVMLinux-2022-06-15-19-17-12.zip
(16.46 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

fth0 wrote:
mpack wrote:Lack of RAM does not limit the size of downloads.
FWIW, there is a real life situation where it does:

If you use a VM to run Kali Linux from a Live ISO without providing a virtual hard disk, the file system (read-only + writable overlay) uses the base memory for the overlay, and downloads indeed occupy the RAM. This is common for casual users of Kali Linux.
I didn't know that. May you share with me a tutorial article link that does this please?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Edward22 wrote:I did not include all the log info because its long.
You took out all the important stuff. A zipped full log will almost always fit. Please try again.
Edward22 wrote:I ran out of memory to download software into my machine.
Assuming you have a typical VM with a virtual disk, running out of 'memory', that really is disk space, may have caused the problem. Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen when the disk fills up, because there isn't enough free space to start the desktop environment. Kali and Ubuntu are both based on Debian, so Kali might have this behavior too. Web-search how to log into Kali via text-only and delete stuff. Then run the desktop executable. Also see How to Resize a Drive.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote: You took out all the important stuff. A zipped full log will almost always fit. Please try again.
Alright, but I will omit/replace out my host username, & device info, bec this is a forum after all.
scottgus1 wrote:Assuming you have a typical VM with a virtual disk, running out of 'memory', that really is disk space, may have caused the problem. Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen when the disk fills up, because there isn't enough free space to start the desktop environment. Kali and Ubuntu are both based on Debian, so Kali might have this behavior too. Web-search how to log into Kali via text-only and delete stuff. Then run the desktop executable. Also see How to Resize a Drive.
Can't I just expand my disk size using this method below instead?
https://www.howtogeek.com/124622/how-to ... or-vmware/
Attachments
Executor-2022-06-15-19-17-12.zip
(39.14 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Obfuscating a log is OK as long as we know what data types were obfuscated. FWIW an account name isn't hackable: one would also need the password (which is pretty much a dead end as long as it's not 'p@$$wOrd' :D ), and which computer in the 4 billion IPv4 or galaxy's worth of IPv6 addresses to try it on.

The log shows working virtual hardware and a booting and running OS with Guest Additions loading. There is this:
00:00:12.540827 VMMDev: Guest Log: Service: Display SVGA X11
00:00:12.542924 VMMDev: Guest Log: Running service failed: VERR_NOT_AVAILABLE
But I don't know if it's an indicator of anything. The VM's video display is turning on. This looks so far like the Ubuntu-style full-disk-no-desktop situation.
Edward22 wrote:Can't I just expand my disk size using this method below instead?
A disk can be expanded with a stick of dynamite, too, but I'm not certain how well it would work afterwards. :lol: You can of course do whatever you wish, but our official tutorial works.

One other thing, the VM OS might run better with 2 processors, not 5. A VM runs slower with more processors in it, due to extra host scheduling requirements. Extra processors only help when there is multi-processor parallel processing software in the VM. Modern OS's themselves run very well in a VM on 2 processors.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote: But I don't know if it's an indicator of anything. The VM's video display is turning on. This looks so far like the Ubuntu-style full-disk-no-desktop situation.

A disk can be expanded with a stick of dynamite, too, but I'm not certain how well it would work afterwards. :lol: You can of course do whatever you wish, but our official tutorial works.
The one you had mention that give a blackscreen? Then I should try to expand the size of the VM correctly this time. I will actually go with "howtogeek" method first, bec the solution that you provided was dated back in 2012. Not saying it won't work bec I'm sure it will, but I would like to try this decade method 1st.
scottgus12 wrote: One other thing, the VM OS might run better with 2 processors, not 5. A VM runs slower with more processors in it, due to extra host scheduling requirements. Extra processors only help when there is multi-processor parallel processing software in the VM. Modern OS's themselves run very well in a VM on 2 processors.
Noted. The 2 processors/CPU was taken from my host's memory right? Is there a risk to the VM in changing these processors on the fly?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Edward22 wrote:I will actually go with "howtogeek" method first, bec the solution that you provided was dated back in 2012. Not saying it won't work bec I'm sure it will, but I would like to try this decade method 1st.
Tutorials on this site are checked for accuracy before they are accepted, and accuracy is maintained forever thereafter (e.g. it clearly discusses VirtualBox v6.0.0, which didn't exist in 2012). So it doesn't matter when the resizing tutorial was originally posted, the information is current and would be taken down if incorrect. Also our tutorials are specific to VirtualBox, we don't feel a need to include mention of VMWare etc.

None of this is true of your "Howtogeek" site. So while the information there does seem accurate (though the "update" section should discuss snapshots and linked clones), we do not recommend nor recognize nor advise about third party tutorials.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the VM configuration, set Display > Screen > Video Memory to 128 MB and see if the issue persists.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

mpack wrote: Tutorials on this site are checked for accuracy before they are accepted, and accuracy is maintained forever thereafter (e.g. it clearly discusses VirtualBox v6.0.0, which didn't exist in 2012). So it doesn't matter when the resizing tutorial was originally posted, the information is current and would be taken down if incorrect. Also our tutorials are specific to VirtualBox, we don't feel a need to include mention of VMWare etc.

None of this is true of your "Howtogeek" site. So while the information there does seem accurate (though the "update" section should discuss snapshots and linked clones), we do not recommend nor recognize nor advise about third party tutorials.
I supposed you are right. I will try the resizing tutorial then. However, it seem I got stuck on step 9 'Click on Resize/Move to queue the operation'.
https://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fn ... partitions

I think I'd mounted it correctly, as I choose the "Empty" item which was under Controller: IDE. I had correctly increased my VM's virtual size "49.65GB" from its actual size "19.11GB" too.
https://pureinfotech.com/mount-iso-virt ... irtualbox/

However, there are some doubts when I doing step 1 of the "Moving Space between partitions".
The extended partition size is 976 MiB (which is odd, bec I thought it will be bigger since I added in 30 more GB), and when I was trying to finish step 9, an error occurred stating "Could not add this operation to the list. Gparted Bug: A partition cannot end (43841536) after the end of the device (%2)"