Share Virtual Machine image for independent use for multiple users (on different host machines)?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nickerdoodle

Share Virtual Machine image for independent use for multiple users (on different host machines)?

Post by nickerdoodle »

I have made a virtual machine in VirtualBox that works for me. I want to share the same Virtual Machine image with another user so they can use my "environment" & minimize time spent creating the environment, downloading/installing different packages & outside programs.

It seems like my best bet (with the least friction/"work") is to Export Virtual Appliance and have the other user import that Virtual Appliance via VirtualBox. But I'm not convinced they'll be able to run it since, for example, my name is one of the key folders. Unless this is something they can simply rename and move on.

Is this possible or is my initial goal unrealistic?
Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Share Virtual Machine image for independent use for multiple users (on different host machines)?

Post by scottgus1 »

nickerdoodle wrote:It seems like my best bet (with the least friction/"work") is to Export Virtual Appliance and have the other user import
There's an even easier way if you're sure they are also going to use Virtualbox: give them a regular file copy of the VM's folder. On their Virtualbox host, they register the VM's .vbox file with a double-click, and hey presto! A new VM ready to run.

Export/Import can work too, though some VM UUIDs may be changed, which can affect licensing and activation of VM software.
nickerdoodle wrote:But I'm not convinced they'll be able to run it since, for example, my name is one of the key folders.
Depends. Two computers on a network can have a folder named 'Nicker' and coexist fine. They can even have two users named 'Nicker' and coexist fine. But if both computers' network names are 'Nicker', then there will be conflicts on the network for name resolution. The OS in each VM needs a unique computer name if it's going to be on a network. You'll need to manually edit the other VM's network name if both VMs will be on the same network. Neither folder copy nor export/import will handle this.