How to emulate the configuration and obordination models in VirtualBox?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kelayaw

How to emulate the configuration and obordination models in VirtualBox?

Post by kelayaw »

Hello friends! Tell me, please, how is it possible to emulate in VirtualBox the equipment and the obordination models (for example: video card)? How to hide the fact of creating a vitrual machine for websites?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to emulate the configuration and obordination models in VirtualBox?

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox provides a number of hardware emulations. It is not possible for you to create your own emulation unless you have the programming skills of the VirtualBox devs and lots of time on your hands.

Emulations are created in order to allow OS's to use their native drivers, e.g. for the Intel PRO/1000 network card. It is not a goal in VirtualBox to hide the fact that a VM is used, which is good since that would be impossible.

We sometimes also have people ask how to fake a hardware signature, e.g. by getting the hardware to lie about its identity. All that would achieve is a guest OS that won't boot, e.g. because drivers for the wrong devices are loaded.

p.s. I have no idea what "obordination" means. From the context I'm assuming that "emulation" was intended.
kelayaw

Post by kelayaw »

Understood. Thanks for the answer! Yes, you are right, I meant "emulation".

I did not quite understand about the guest OS. Could you please tell us more about the guest OS. I'm not a very experienced virtualbox user.

Also, if I understand you correctly, then you write that in VirtualBox it is impossible to hide the fact that a virtual machine is being used. Are you sure? I heard about user VektorT13 who modified virtualbox to hide the fact that he was using a virtual machine. He sells his build with a monthly subscription. It became interesting to me how much this can be done on our own or with Open Source solutions.
Last edited by mpack on 9. May 2022, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote. Please use selective quotes only.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

kelayaw wrote: I did not quite understand about the guest OS. Could you please tell us more about the guest OS.
A VM requires a physical PC to run on. The physical PC is referred to as the host, the VM can therefore be referred to as the guest. Think a hotel providing resources to customers a.k.a. guests. Also the Operating System running on the host PC is referred to as the "host OS", and the "guest OS" is therefore... I think I'll let you work that one out for yourself.
kelayaw wrote: Also, if I understand you correctly, then you write that in VirtualBox it is impossible to hide the fact that a virtual machine is being used. Are you sure?
Very sure.
kelayaw wrote: I heard about user VektorT13 who modified virtualbox to hide the fact that he was using a virtual machine. He sells his build with a monthly subscription.
We have a phrase in English called "a snake oil salesman" which seems appropriate here. A VM can be detected because VT-x is enabled in the CPU (which a VM can access), or because the hardware being emulated is old and out of step with the CPU that's present, or because the CPU has the wrong number of cores, or because the graphics card is unidentifiable, or even a simple benchmark can tell you it's a VM. Anyone providing different (not VirtualBox) virtual hardware would have had to write all their own emulations, and probably provide drivers too for any OS you want to run inside the VM. All that simply isn't possible in practice (and it still doesn't solve all the other detection methods I mentioned). So anyone selling you a general "solution" to all that is a fraud.

It is possible that, if you had a specific piece of software in mind, and that software was spectaculary dumb and only did a simple, single, easily defeated VM test, then you might fake it for a while. But not in general, and probably not for long. In general, any competent software that wants to detect that it's running a VM can always do so.