How to organise Virtual Machines into Groups?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
achzone
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Pro

How to organise Virtual Machines into Groups?

Post by achzone »

Hi everyone,

New member and first-time poster.

I have 17 virtual machines installed in Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager and would like to create a couple of groups to be able to organise them so that they don't all appear together as shown below in my snapshot.

I know it's possible to do it as I've seen other snapshots that group their virtual machines into categories, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.

In short, I'd like to have three groups at the top of Virtual Box Manager for Linux VMs, Old Windows VMs, and Current Windows VMs to make the list of VMs I have neater because I intend to install several other VMs, both Linux and Windows.

I've been using Virtual Box for quite some time but can't seem to figure out how to achieve what I want to do.

Could anyone explain how to do this please? I'm currently using the latest version of Oracle Virtual Box (Version 6.1) - 6.1.32r149290 (Qt5.6.2)

Many thanks for any help.

Kind regards,

Andrew Leniart.
achzone
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Pro

Re: How to organise Virtual Machines into Groups?

Post by achzone »

My apologies. I couldn't post the snapshot as it appears I must be a member for at least one day before I have the ability to do so.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

Please see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01. ... i-vmgroups and let us know if you have any further questions, we'd be happy to help!
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just right click the VM in the manager and select "Group". This creates a new group containing that VM. The group can be renamed. You can then drag other VM listings into that group.