Invalid settings, not enough storage on host machine even though i’m using a USB

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
agaalsha

Invalid settings, not enough storage on host machine even though i’m using a USB

Post by agaalsha »

Hi, I’m trying to make a Windows 10 Virtual Machine on a 128 gb USB since I don’t have enough storage on the laptop i’m using. I create the VM successfully but when I put the Windows ISO in the USB and try to put it on the VM it says Invalid Settings, not enough storage on host machine. There’s nothing else on the USB, so i’m kind of stumped.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Invalid settings, not enough storage on host machine even though i’m using a USB

Post by scottgus1 »

agaalsha wrote:a Windows 10 Virtual Machine on a 128 gb USB
If that's a regular USB thumb drive, not an SSD or platter drive connected through USB, then the thumb drive will die. Very quickly. A standard thumbdrive is not designed for the write load of an OS. And USB 2 will be sssssssllllllllllooooooowwwwwwww. A USB-3-connected SSD or standard platter drive will handle installing a VM on it.
agaalsha wrote:Invalid Settings, not enough storage on host machine.
Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

If you can also determine where you stored the VM's drive file, also run these commands in the host's Command Prompt or Terminal:

vboxmanage showmediuminfo "path/to/drive/file.ext"

Replace "path/to/drive/file.ext" with the path to your VM's drive file, of course... :D And if it's a Windows host, run this first before the 'vboxmanage" command:

CD "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox"