No Keyboard, Sketchy Mouse, Sound Too Loud

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
meeshu

No Keyboard, Sketchy Mouse, Sound Too Loud

Post by meeshu »

This is relation to my earlier topic here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105706

Host operating system: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit
Guest operating system: Windows XP SP3 32 bit
Running VirtualBox 5.1.14

Finally manged to get the software referenced in my earlier topic to run!

However, while running the software there are three issues -

1) Keyboard input not being recognized by the software. Keyboard connected to host computer via PS/2 port.
2) Mouse cursor defaults to top left of software windows and moves extremely fast when mouse moved. Far too fast for practical use. And cursor seems to disappear near bottom of software window(?) Mouse connected to host computer via USB port.
3) Software audio level far too loud, despite adjusting Windows XP audio level to the minimum! Audio level seem to be stuck at maximum!?

So, how to get the software to recognize the keyboard?
How to get the mouse cursor to move slower and enable selection of options within the running software?
How to lower audio level via software setting?

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No Keyboard, Sketchy Mouse, Sound Too Loud

Post by mpack »

I'd like you to show me that the Guest Additions are installed (see chapter 4 of the user manual).

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
meeshu

Post by meeshu »

I believe there are no guest additions, at least nothing extra installed by myself.

Here is the zipped log file -
Windows XP VM-2022-04-10-22-10-21.zip
(24.34 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You do have Guest Additions, unfortunately they are intended for a newer version of VirtualBox, and I'm afraid that's a no-no. It's ok to have GAs that are slightly older than the host software they integrate with, but the GAs must not be even slightly newer.
VirtualBox VM 5.1.14 r112924 win.amd64 (Jan 16 2017 16:36:58) release log
00:00:08.743652 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.24 r139119 '6.0.24'
You need to uninstall the 6.0.24 GAs and then install the 5.1.14 version. I believe that will fix your UI problems. I see you have 3D acceleration enabled, be aware that if you want 3D acceleration in XP then you need to install the GAs in XP's Safe Mode, and choose the 3D acceleration drivers during the install.
meeshu

Post by meeshu »

Thanks for the details!

I had trouble uninstalling the 6.0.24 additions as there didn't seem to be a direct way of uninstalling them!? But I think I've successfully uninstalled these additions using an uninstall program(?)

Added, I believe, the guest additions for version 5.1.14. This was done under guest Windows XP safe mode. But I didn't notice any specific reference to 3D acceleration drivers during the process.

Note that the only file I found to download wrt VirtualBox 5.1.14 was Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.24.vbox-extpack. I presume this is the guest additions file that contains all the necessary drivers?

After all of this, the (test) software was once again run under guest Windows XP. Software did run, but still had sketchy mouse cursor as before, keyboard input still not being recognized, and this time no sound at all!?

Latest log file attached -
Windows XP VM-2022-04-11-10-59-13.zip
(26.1 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What made you think you had to download anything else to get the Guest Additions (GAs)?

The Extension Pack has nothing to do with the GAs. The former is an addon for the host, not the Guest. The only reason the ExtPack is a separate download is because it's covered by a separate license.

The log confirms that the 5.1.14 GAs have been installed, I also see OpenGL loading.

Incidentally, neither the GAs nor the ExtPack have anything to do with sound. I didn't address that subject since I try to keep to one thing at a time.
meeshu

Post by meeshu »

The word "additions" suggested to me that a separate download was required.

Thanks for comments.

But, the issues remain as to why the mouse is not functioning properly? And why is the keyboard apparently not being recognized by the software running under Windows XP?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"Additions" means that you add it to the VM. If there was an implication that it had to be downloaded then perhaps it would be called "Guest Downloads".

As to mouse and keyboards, my own XP Pro VMs work fine, so perhaps you have non generic keyboard and mouse drivers installed in XP.

Also, on the keyboard, are all keys not functioning or only some of them?
meeshu

Post by meeshu »

The keyboard and mouse are all Microsoft as is the associated drivers.

I believe just about all keys on the keyboard are not being recognized!?

Not sure what to do now.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't think I can help you any further, since you seem to be describing the impossible.

We know that the VirtualBox keyboard and mouse simulations work, otherwise we would all be seeing the same problem in all VMs. We know that Microsoft's XP mouse and keyboard drivers work, otherwise every XP user would have same problem. Plus almost all of us have created XP VMs. If that is what you did too, installing XP from scratch from a genuine XP install disk, then it should be working.

The last thing to try is disabling the USB enable options in the VM settings. This is to counter the possibility that you added a USB filter which grab ownership of host devices, though you have given no indication of doing so.