UBUNTU Stuck on Black screen on boot startup on Vm.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
GreenGrass121

Post by GreenGrass121 »

Hi Team, I also have the issue of Ubuntu on VM having a black screen, the last time I logged into my Ubuntu I got a disk space full message, after deleting some files and shutting down my machine I got a blank screen error on startup with the cursor hanged. Can you check out please, Please I need help restoring and getting my data back? Logs are attached. Thank you..
Attachments
logs.zip
(56.84 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: UBUNTU Stuck on Black screen on boot startup on Vm.

Post by scottgus1 »

The VM hardware seems to run fine for the 2-ish minutes it is on.
GreenGrass121 wrote:the last time I logged into my Ubuntu I got a disk space full message, after deleting some files and shutting down my machine I got a blank screen error
Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This happens in real PCs too. The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Though you did delete things, it may not have been enough, or there may be another step. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. Also see How to Resize a Drive

If you are unable to get the VM log-in-able again, you can attach this VM's drive file to another VM to access the data, or 7-zip on a Windows host can open the disk file as an archive and extract data to the host.