Bridge Net works on startup then stop after some time pass

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
tekion

Bridge Net works on startup then stop after some time pass

Post by tekion »

Hello, I am using Virtualbox 6.1.32 on Windows 10 as the host.
After bootup, bridge mode works, I can do "nslookup" and access the internet.
What I noticed If I am away and the host OS screen lock, the bridge mode net stops working.
The guest OS still thinks it is connected, but I am only able to ping my guest NIC.
I am not able to ping the gateway IP. Has anyone run into a similar issue?

New data points: I rebooted the guest OS, and the bridge network is still not working.
Rebooted the Host OS and Restarted the guest OS: Network bridge is working. We will see how long it works before it stops working.
tekion

Re: Bridge Net works on startup then stop after some time pass

Post by tekion »

Updates: my Network froze again.

What I did to get the network bridge to work.

shutdown Kali guest and restart Virtualbox on the host OS
Then restart Kali guest. This seems to work and you do not need to restart the host OS.

I am not sure what's going on that is causing Virtualbox to freeze up the bridge network. Does any have insight on this or how to proceed in troubleshooting this further?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Bridge Net works on startup then stop after some time pass

Post by scottgus1 »

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state.

When the network is working:
  • In the Windows OS, open a Command Prompt and run ipconfig /all. Post the command output.
  • In the Linux OS, open a Terminal and run ifconfig or ip address. Post the command output.
When the network fails, run and post the same commands again. Please label which is which.

After the network has failed, shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.