Can't install it currently; need help.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Tarrabyte

Can't install it currently; need help.

Post by Tarrabyte »

Hey guys, I need a bit of help, I can't for some reason install VBox... see image.
Attachments
screenshot00.png
screenshot00.png (92.43 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't install it currently; need help.

Post by mpack »

It's looking for the previous installer in order to uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.30 first, but it looks like you deleted it. Or did you maybe run the previous installer inside the browser without downloading it first?

I think it works better if you download installers. I keep a folder "Installed Software" on my PC containing the latest installers for all software on my PC.

To recover you'll need to download the VirtualBox 6.1.30 installer, extract the MSI ("VirtualBox-6.1.30-148432-Win.exe -extract"), then copy the MSI to the location indicated in your error message.

Remember to store the 6.1.32 installer in a permanent folder (not a root folder) before running it, and leave it there. You can delete it after you successfully install the next VirtualBox version.
Tarrabyte

Post by Tarrabyte »

mpack wrote:It's looking for the previous installer in order to uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.30 first, but it looks like you deleted it. Or did you maybe run the previous installer inside the browser without downloading it first?

I think it works better if you download installers. I keep a folder "Installed Software" on my PC containing the latest installers for all software on my PC.

To recover you'll need to download the VirtualBox 6.1.30 installer, extract the MSI ("VirtualBox-6.1.30-148432-Win.exe -extract"), then copy the MSI to the location indicated in your error message.

Remember to store the 6.1.32 installer in a permanent folder (not a root folder) before running it, and leave it there. You can delete it after you successfully install the next VirtualBox version.
Yeah I did that and it still gives me the same exact thing. I have no idea why.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Tarrabyte wrote: Yeah I did that and it still gives me the same exact thing. I have no idea why.
If it still complains about a missing MSI file then you didn't put the MSI where it needs to be. Can you post a screenshot showing the MSI file in the folder mentioned in the error message?