how to clone bluestacks

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
tripaphonic

how to clone bluestacks

Post by tripaphonic »

Hello, community! I want to clone blue stacks so I can use them on all four of my kid's laptops. It's proven to be extremely useful when it comes to giving my kids the option to play the same games they play on their phones on their laptops. The only problem is blue stacks require an older version of VirtualBox and I cannot figure out why I'm getting the error I get.

Result Code: VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80BB0007)

BlueStacks Version 4.270.1 (2803)
Virtual Box Version 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.6.3)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Trip.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: how to clone bluestacks

Post by scottgus1 »

The part of this problem the forum can help with is the Virtualbox part.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Last I checked, BlueStacks was forked from VirtualBox back in 2.x days, and they do a lot of their own graphics and networking drivers.

So I know of no way to turn a BlueStacks VM into a VirtualBox one. You can create an Android VM in VirtualBox, but it won't have the performance of BlueStacks.

Anyway why bother? You can get BlueStacks for free, you just have to live with the ads.
tripaphonic

Post by tripaphonic »

I was just trying to prevent myself from having to go through the setup process with another virtual android for my kids machines. Is there a barebones android image out there with 10 or 11 that you'd recommend? Something I could download and mount in virtualbox?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I just tried Bluestacks on a laptop to run an Android app, and the setup was surprisingly easy. I'd check to see if your kids' games are cloud-backed with accounts, and if they'd migrate status simply by logging in on the new install.

But Bluestacks support is not to be found here, as the app uses Virtualbox in ways we don't grok. Best ask them how to migrate/clone their data.
tripaphonic

Post by tripaphonic »

scottgus1 wrote:I just tried Bluestacks on a laptop to run an Android app, and the setup was surprisingly easy. I'd check to see if your kids' games are cloud-backed with accounts, and if they'd migrate status simply by logging in on the new install.

But Bluestacks support is not to be found here, as the app uses Virtualbox in ways we don't grok. Best ask them how to migrate/clone their data.
Thanks Scott. Any particular Android images you recommend for user with VB?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox is strictly an x86-processor hypervisor, so any OS in Virtualbox must be able to run on a x86 PC (not ARM). Virtualbox will not emulate an ARM processor.

I have got Android x86 to install in Virtualbox, and so has Mpack (I followed his recipe viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92683&start=15#p464073 with 2 processors). I personally was not impressed with Android x86 stability, and some apps (like the one I successfully tried in Bluestacks, 'Pleco' Chinese dictionary app) did not run in Android x86.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yup, getting Android to install is a bit of an academic exercise, but performance is poor and support is non-existent, basically I find it useless for real life tasks.

The BlueStacks environment is excellent by comparison, I use it regularly to communicate with some robot vacs whose controls are only available in mobile app form. I just wish BlueStacks didn't have all those embarrassing game ads seemingly all aimed at 12 year old boys. But, as Scott says - BlueStacks handles BlueStacks support.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

mpack wrote:I just wish BlueStacks didn't have all those embarrassing game ads seemingly all aimed at 12 year old boys.
Amen, that's why I kicked Bluestacks to the curb after only a few hours, because I found out there was no way to turn those "popular games to play" ads off.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There was a hack for BlueStacks 4 then let you install a different loader which doesn't display the ads, but I don't believe that hack works with BS5.

Also, there was a premium option for BS4 that allegedly gets rid of the ads, but I thought it quite expensive given my level of use - and I didn't trust them to really ditch all ads. Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be a premium option for BS5 even though it's been out for a year or so.