Where to get old VirtualBox versions 1.x, 2.x, 3.x ?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mvanle

Where to get old VirtualBox versions 1.x, 2.x, 3.x ?

Post by mvanle »

I am looking for Guest Addition ISOs from older VirtualBox versions.

The download link only goes back to 4.x (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/).

Where can I get older VirtualBox versions ? (particularly the Guest Additions ISOs)
AndyCot

Re: Where to get old VirtualBox versions 1.x, 2.x, 3.x ?

Post by AndyCot »

No idea. Watch the licenses for the versions you find as some license from big corporations like Oracle sometimes do not allow you to make them available on the internet.

You could try archive.org to see if it has any of what you are looking for. Do not assume that just because archive.org has it you can put it on the internet as they may have an agreement with Oracle or they may not.
m2i
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows 10

Post by m2i »

I may help with 3.x versions.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Version 1.x was in the Innotek era, AFAIK that was not even open source (* I was wrong - see below).

I started using VirtualBox in the 2.x era, when it was owned by Sun Microsystems. I believe Sun was bought by Oracle in the 4.x era. You would have to check Wayback around 2010, but I don't know if that will archive the downloads too. IME it's usually just the web pages.

As to the license, 3.x was back in the era of a separate OSE version covered by GPL. There should be no problem using that per the GPL2 license, but of course it will be lacking features of the closed source version.

You could also look for Ubuntu OSE fork versions from the same era.

You could have difficulty finding third party build tools and header files from that era.

(*) I had no trouble finding the VirtualBox downloads page on archive.org. I could download 1.3 OSE from a 2007 archive.