Versioning?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Gillykaboose

Versioning?

Post by Gillykaboose »

Can I delete the older versioning files? As they are starting taking up a lot of disk space. What purpose do they actually serve?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Versioning?

Post by scottgus1 »

Gillykaboose wrote:older versioning files
I don't recognize that terminology in the Virtualbox geosphere. Can you describe them more clearly?
Gillykaboose

Post by Gillykaboose »

Sure no problem ... when I do backups (copy) of the VM a file folder appears named "Versioning" in this file folder are sub-folders giving dates such as:2021-12 11-24 or 2021-29 10-27. When these sub-folders are opened it includes the *.vbox-prev and the diskxxx.vdi at full size. So if I have 3 versioning file sub-folders I have the same volume size as the original back up/copy. Now does this does not just occur with the back/up copy as it appears in the original VM folder also. Deleted the verioning folders in the original VM drives and it doesn't seem to cuase any concern as everything functions normally............ does it create this automatically ewverytime there is a back up/copy made?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

There is no 'backup' process or function in Virtualbox. This sounds like something your host OS or a 3rd-party backup software is doing. Virtualbox doesn't make these Versioning folders. You'll have to find out what software is making the folders and decide if you want to stop it or let it keep going.
Gillykaboose

Post by Gillykaboose »

Thanks scottgus1.... information was usefull .. and Happy New Year to you ......