Upgrade from Virtualbox 5

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Monstercarp

Upgrade from Virtualbox 5

Post by Monstercarp »

Hi

I have an urgent need to obtain some data stored in a Virtualbox 5 set up.

Is is probably just about 2 years since I last used virtualbox to run a Win XP installation containing a couple of programs that cannot be run on Win 10 64 bit. Much to my surprise I can no longer run this installation.

I need to upgrade to Virtualbox 6. Hopefully I can do this without having to reload the WinXP programs and hunting for the data stored in this installation.

I'm sure this must have been covered at the time version 6 was introduced.

I'd be very grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of information that will assist me in doing this.

Thanks in advance

Peter
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Upgrade from Virtualbox 5

Post by mpack »

I am still running Windows 3.1 VMs created using VirtualBox 3.x. Running an XP VM created in VirtualBox 5.x is no problem at all.

The only (minor) problem you could have is because VirtualBox 6.x has discarded the old "raw" (no VT-x) method running VMs, so ignoring the fact that you have VT-x/AMD-v disabled is no longer an option. See related FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Monstercarp

Post by Monstercarp »

Thanks for your comments.

I am running version 5.2.18. When I attempt to load this I get a message from Microsoft compatibility analysis that version 5.2.18 causes security problems and Windows will not allow it to start.

I can easily download the latest version 6 release and install it. However I'm more concerned that the 50Gbyte file that contains the programs AND data I use with virtualbox might be lost or not able to be linked to version 6.

I can't be the only person with this issue and so I'm sure that somewhere on the forum or within Oracle guidance it must be addressed. I just need a little help as to where it might be. My searches have yielded nothing of note.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Monstercarp wrote:I'm more concerned that the 50Gbyte file that contains the programs AND data I use with virtualbox might be lost or not able to be linked to version 6.
An upgrade of Virtualbox won't kill your VMs 99.999999999999% of the time. However, taking a host disk image with a reliable 3rd-party backup software that can be restored (Macrium reflect Free is good on Windows hosts) will ensure that the 0.000000000001% will be covered. It is a computer, after all.

I also have upgraded Virtualbox from the 3's through the 6's and never had problems with my existing VMs.
Monstercarp

Post by Monstercarp »

Thanks - very helpful

I have several disk clones of the operating system. This is how I make a regular backup.

As I can't run the 5.2.18 version and update from within the program, do I simply run the version 6 installation download and let this replace the version 5.2 and link to the VM automatically?

Peter
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Forum gurus have recommended that for major version upgrades, like from 5 to 6, to uninstall Virtualbox, reboot, then install the new version with a right-click-Run-As-Administrator. Same for any downgrade. Otherwise, for upgrading minor versions, reinstall over the top of existing without a reboot should be OK.
Monstercarp

Post by Monstercarp »

If I uninstall 5 (no problem) and then install 6, how do I ensure I link to the existing VM?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox leaves its configuration files behind for the new version to find. Your VM should appear in the new version's VM list.
Monstercarp

Post by Monstercarp »

You've been really helpful - thanks so much

I'll keep you posted

Peter
Monstercarp

Post by Monstercarp »

Just to let you know your advice worked fine. I'm now running version 6 and I didn't loose any VMs or data.

The only issue I did have was with some of the choices I was asked to make when version 6 installed. I'm sure those who use it regularly are familiar with the precise meanings of the choices but as this is only the second time I've upgraded VB in probably 6 years I'm not particularly familiar with all the terms. Are there any instructions anywhere?

Anyway thanks for your help immediate problem solved.

Peter
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad to help!

The options in the Virtualbox installer refer to including USB Passthrough (https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#usb-support) and Host-Only Network (https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06. ... k_hostonly) support. Generally these should be left enabled.