Creating VM with multpile vcpu sockets

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
warpino

Creating VM with multpile vcpu sockets

Post by warpino »

Hi all,

for testing purposes I'd like to create a VM with a Windows 10 guest having two single core cpus rather than a single cpu with two cores.
I cannot find such an option in the VM settings. Is it possible?
Using a macOS guest

Best,

w
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Creating VM with multpile vcpu sockets

Post by scottgus1 »

I have never seen any settings in Virtualbox to dictate whether the "cpu" will show up as multiple separate CPUs rather than a single CPU with multiple cores. A perusal of the manual may help you if such a thing exists, and the PDF version https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf is searchable.

Re the Mac guest, please be aware that a Mac guest is only allowed if the physical computer is real Mac hardware.
OSX guests on non-Apple hardware Forum topics discussing Mac guests on non-Mac hardware must be locked.
aeichner
Oracle Corporation

Post by aeichner »

You'd have to compile VBox on your own using VBOX_WITH_MULTI_CORE= to disable presenting multiple cores rather than individual CPUs to the guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can't see what value this would have with a MacOS guest anyway. Which Apple hardware had discrete CPUs?
warpino

Post by warpino »

scottgus1 wrote:I have never seen any settings in Virtualbox to dictate whether the "cpu" will show up as multiple separate CPUs rather than a single CPU with multiple cores. A perusal of the manual may help you if such a thing exists, and the PDF version https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf is searchable.

Re the Mac guest, please be aware that a Mac guest is only allowed if the physical computer is real Mac hardware.
OSX guests on non-Apple hardware Forum topics discussing Mac guests on non-Mac hardware must be locked.
I really couldn't understand your comment, until I realised I wrote "MacOS guest" meaning "MacOS host". :D

Sorry about that, also to @mpack