create qcow2 image

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
luke_devon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora 13

create qcow2 image

Post by luke_devon »

Hi ,

I have installed latest VirtualBox in my windows host. I have a requirement to create a qcow2 image of one of Linux guest as we are planning to import it to an OpenStack/VMware cloud. However according to VMware admin, the storage device controller should be "LsiLogic SAS". So I have added the LsiLogic SAS controller and mounted a harddisk type VMDK/VDI. But during the Linux OS installation process (CentOS 8) , it unable to detect the harddisk. So unable to proceed with the installation.

May I check with you, is it possible to use different type of storage controllers in order to make a suitable type of qcow2 image to import in VMware and OpenStack? Please advice how to resolve the issue.

Thanks
Luke.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: create qcow2 image

Post by mpack »

As far as I know, VirtualBox only offers read support for the QCOW format, and only when importing a cloud based VM. You can't actually use QCOW in a running VM, nor can you export to QCOW.
luke_devon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora 13

Post by luke_devon »

Hi,

Forget about creating qcow2. Setting up the VM is the main concern right now with the appropriate controller.

I am trying to explore, what is the possibility that we can use other storage controllers with different hard disk types ? VDI, VHD, and VMDK? But FYI, couple of years ago with a different version of VB, I was managed to create qcow2 image and now it is live. There are some online articles how to create qcow2 images using VDI , VMDK.

For example; VMware vSphere doesn't support default SATA controller. Therefore we need to select some other controllers like, LsiLogic SAS or so. However the new version doesn't allow to use those controllers.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The controller doesn't care what the container format is. It doesn't even see that.

The controller is a virtual device. It sees a virtual SATA or IDE drive. Not a VDI or VMDK or whatever. You should be able to use any controller (IDE, SATA, SCSI) that the guest OS has drivers for. You may have to repair a boot if this represents a change on what the VM previously used.

I don't use VMWare, so I won't get too bogged down in what VMWare allows or doesn't allow. Presumably if you create a working VirtualBox VM using an LsiLogic SCSI controller then you will be able to export it as an OVA and import into VMWare. It was VMWare after all who developed the OVA standard.