What does "(snapshot time)" mean?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
vboxuser93

What does "(snapshot time)" mean?

Post by vboxuser93 »

Something weird happened with my VM and I ended up with the machine shutdown and the text "(snapshot time)" next to the title. What are the implications of that and how do I get it back to normal?

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: What does "(snapshot time)" mean?

Post by scottgus1 »

When I have a VM set to a particular snapshot, I get (snapshot name) after the VM's name, where "snapshot name" is ... wait for it ... the name of the snapshot. :D

Does your VM have a snapshot called "snapshot time"?
vboxuser93

Post by vboxuser93 »

I have never done anything with snapshots, nor do I know anything about them (except what I've read trying to figure this out).

If I go to snapshot manager, I see https://imgur.com/6je8RcV - so I guess I must have inadvertently taken a snapshot? If I delete the snapshot will everything return to normal, or will that cause more issues? :)

Thanks!
vboxuser93

Post by vboxuser93 »

Alternatively can I just keep going as it is and be sure I won't lose some data in the future?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Images should be cropped and resized to get under the forum's 128kB size limit yet remain readable, then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. This is possible from first day first post.

If you have only one snapshot and delete the snapshot it should combine back to no snapshots. However, host glitches happen, so take a full backup of the VM's folder, .vbox file, and disk files, so a restore can be made if something goes wrong.