Install a program on 32 bit windows running in VB + access a USB C drive

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Belinea

Install a program on 32 bit windows running in VB + access a USB C drive

Post by Belinea »

Hi everyone

I am new to Virtual Box so my question maybe that of a newbie.

I am running Virtual Box 6.1 on Windows 10 (64 bit) and I have added a copy of MS Windows 7 32 bit which runs just fine. I have also down loaded and installed the USB addon.

I have a 32 bit program that I need to run/install within windows 7 as I have data that I need to get from a file that the program opens (there is no 64 bit version).

The install program for this is either on a mountable ISO, from a folder on my windows 10 C: drive or on a USB stick.

Another problem is that the file I need to open HAS to be opened on a exFAT file system so I have spare HD in an caddy mounted on USB C.

So my newbie question is this How do I access the install exe from within windows 7 when it is running within Virtual Box and then once the program is installed and running allow it to access the HD connected by the USB C caddy?

Sorry if this is basic stuff but I am unable to get my head around it all.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Install a program on 32 bit windows running in VB + access a USB C drive

Post by mpack »

Belinea wrote: I have a 32 bit program that I need to run/install within windows 7 as I have data that I need to get from a file that the program opens (there is no 64 bit version).
That doesn't really make sense to me I'm afraid. 64bit windows can run 32bit apps just fine: in fact most apps are still 32bit IME. The only thing you might have trouble with is any fancy device drivers that need to be installed, but a VM won't like those either.

You mount ISO's using the Storage panel in the VM settings, or use the Devices|Optical Drives|Choose a disk file... menu item in a running VM. That makes it appear to the VM that you inserted a CD/DVD containing the app install files.
Belinea

Post by Belinea »

hi

While 64 bit windows can run some, but not all, 32 bit programs, not all 32 bit programs can be run in compatability mode on a 64 bit machine.

Some programs that, involve processing as an example, are written specificly for 32 bit architecture and fat32.
They simply will not work correctly on modern hard drive architecture.
They wont be able to access the processor and memory chipsets correctly and a myriad of other problems.

A program that was writtem back in the very early days of 32 bit Win XP simply can not function on a modern 64 bit OS much less one using something like M.2 SSD's.
That is like trying to put a 20 year old moped engine in to a high power racing bike frame.

hence the need to use some kind of intermediary such as a VB that can emulate the 32 bit architecture while being run on a high powered 64 bit machine.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Belinea wrote: A program that was written back in the very early days of 32 bit Win XP simply can not function on a modern 64 bit OS
I am a software engineer with 40 years experience, it's my full time day job. I assure you that all of the Win32 programs I wrote back in Win95 days still work perfectly well in modern 64bit Windows. Thats because the complete Win32 API is still there, as is the 32bit processer architecture. Modern Intel CPUs add 64bit capability in addition to 32bit capability - not instead of.

Going backwards in time can be problematic, if the app makes use of new APIs, say DirectX12. But going forward rarely presents any problems. Compatibility modes are rarely needed - IMO that's more of a placebo for users, and frankly it often does more harm than good.

p.s. XP was based around the NTFS filesystem, the same one Windows uses today. It was Win9x that required FAT as the primary filesystem.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

p.p.s. Just to be clear, VirtualBox does not "emulate 32bit architecture". Code runs natively on the host CPU, there is no emulation involved since VirtualBox is a hypervisor and not a CPU emulator. So the ability to run 32bit (or 16bit) code is a feature of the CPU, not a feature of VirtualBox. If the CPU didn't support it, VirtualBox couldn't do it. This is very relevant at the moment as noobs are occasionally trying to install VirtualBox on M1 Macs and discovering that (of course) you can't run Intel based VMs on an ARM CPU.

Of course, even when the CPU is capable, the OS may not offer the option for various reasons. That is NOT the case with 32bit code on 64 bit Windows, but it is the case with 16bit code on 64bit Windows.